1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 prius front bumper replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by markmezzano, Mar 15, 2011.

1. markmezzano

markmezzano New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I need to replace my front bumper. Is it difficult or is there anything special I should be aware of?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota recommends disconnecting the battery negative before starting work like this.

The hard part is paint. If you buy a new one, it will be black. If you haven't painted a bumper like this before, it is not an easy DIY thing.

3. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best to have it painted by body shop. The paint is a base color coat, then a clear coat to finish.

It takes some time to remove and replace a bumper, because of all the connection points.....not difficult, just time consuming.

4. PriusTech

PriusTech Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note the position of the edges as relates to the mating parts before dis-assembly, it differs going around the edge, and it doesn't necessarily just fall into the correct position going back on.There's a hidden bolt at each far back corner (10mm head). It helps to have two people going back together, where it fits around the headlight is a little bit tricky. If it's been wrecked before it can be more difficult due to fitment. Check to make sure the mounting pads by the fenders aren't broken, replace if necessary.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ +1

Good advice. I've had mine off twice and it wasn't difficult but far from fun. Take pictures as you go with removal and be sure to keep the bolts sorted by location - there are differences.

- D

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The hardest part is getting it loose from the headlights.