1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius gas gauge not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sashaburg, May 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. sashaburg

sashaburg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Either I’m getting terrific mileage since I had a few battery cells replaced earlier this month, or my gauge is not working. I filled it up, and have gone 250 miles without using one bar of fuel, according to the gauge. From what I’ve read, I can reset the gauge by unhooking the 12v battery. But since this problem only happened since the battery was worked on, and everything was unhooked, would trying this reset even work? I’m thinking I’m just going to watch the mileage and refill every 350 or so miles. Unless anyone has a better idea? I’m not sure getting a huge bill on this car is worth it at this time, just for a gas gauge.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So your gas gauge is present on the dash You just haven't seen it move yet yeah run it to 350 mi are almost 400 that's 40 mi to the gallon you should use about 10 gallons 9.4 whatever so see how that works out maybe all of a sudden when you get to 300 mi the thing will drop to a quarter tank immediately or something maybe not You've obviously turn the car off and back on. But that is pretty wild so it's like stuck in the full position float all the way up or whatever It's pretty good but that's how I drive mine all the time I put like 410 mi I'm usually by then the fuel light is getting ready to flash and I'm pulling into sheets

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is quite normal to stay on the first pip for a long while and at 250 mi it is probably getting to the point where the first pip will disappear.

And, yes it is quite possible that replacing a few battery modules will improve the fuel economy if the repair was done well. You're probably just not used to how the car behaves when it is working well.

So I'd say just be patient and your gas will disappear quick enough. If you get to 500 mi then you might need to look into it.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually in most generation twos that I've sat in at 250 I should be just at a full half a tank. The pip that's just one above the half a tank is fading and turning off as I'm hitting 250 in it well running set up that is and then I'll be flashing requiring stopping for gas somewhere between 4:20 and 500 depending upon the car It's been very much a toss-up on all of these things 420 seems to be the norm actually and this is for people that are driving the car the car is not driving us The car is generally reporting right around 45 consistently never falls below that generally speaking If it does then I'm going to be getting 365 miles to that tank of gas I can almost tell by looking at the MFD and not even looking at the gauge what my total tank miles are going to be for this particular tank.