1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Having ECU Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ecodriver, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Ecodriver

Ecodriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius with 3400 miles on it. Yesterday the triangle warning light and the system malfunction light came on, and the car stalled (fortunately on a quiet side street not far from home--not on the freeway)! I restarted it, but it stalled again twice in the few blocks it took to drive home. I didn't trust it to drive to the dealership--I had it towed.

They found that the ECU was faulty--I talked to Customer Service, not someone technical, so I didn't get the details--and that they would install a new one.

I've seen references to ECU problems on older Prius models, but not on the 2008. Has anyone heard of ECU failures or malfunctions on the 2008s? And is there any need for software upgrades on a 2008 ECU (not so soon, I'd think)? Are the upgrades part of routine maintenance on the Prius?

I'd like to get as much background information as I can so that when I write my irate letter to Toyota, it's technically intelligent. Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for sharing your story. I have not heard that 2008 models have any particular problems. It is certainly possible that your car was subject to a random failure due to "infant mortality".

When you find out which ECU was replaced and which DTC(s) (diagnostic trouble code) had been logged, please post that info.

If Toyota decides that a firmware update is requred, a TSB will be issued. Usually that service will be covered under the hybrid systems or emissions warranty, depending upon which ECU is involved.

3. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is it that makes you think an irate letter is deserved? Cars break. They are complex pieces of machinery. The Prius is a particularly complex example of the art. If they fixt it, for free, where's your complaint?