1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius maintenance questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TravisBe, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TravisBe

TravisBe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I seriously mistimed my oil change due to a long car trip I wrapped up this weekend. I knew I was due and planned to get it on the back end, but with 200 miles to go I got the red triangle chirping that I had an oil problem. I took it in this morning and I was very low on oil. I got a polite lecture on my car being old enough (2008 with 182k miles) that the oil level needs to be checked regularly and I will start losing oil as a matter of course. They also suggested changing to synthetic. I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Is it possible I caused any permanent damage for driving on low oil for a few hundred miles?
    2. Can a service center detect any possible effects from this?
    3. What are the pros/cons of synthetic oil?
    3. Today's oil change was done at a Firestone and while they didn't do a formal inspection, they sent me home with a list of repairs they said I needed from passive observation or guesses based on my age/mileage:
    -replace poly rib belt
    -replace cabin air filter
    -replace spark plugs
    -Clean fuel system
    -replace shocks and struts
    -alignment

At my oil change this summer the dealership said my tires and brakes were about due for replacement which I was planning on doing before I left on my next road trip. I'm going to take the car in to a Toyota dealership this weekend for a formal inspection and second opinion on these repairs. I'm not doubting them per se, but since they quoted me $1600 in parts and labor I want to make sure 1) these are really needed and 2) if there's more to be fixed it gets found in one go.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Yes

You should avoid spending large sums of money on your car until you determine how much oil this car is using. Check every couple weeks until you figure this out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you not follow the recommended maintenance schedule in your o/m?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Think I know the answer but anyway: how often do you check the oil level?

If the oil pressure light comes on it was likely well below the bottom mark on dipstick.

As @JC91006 says, start monitoring, see what you're dealing with.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should stick with the cheaper oils, do not use synthetic. Only reason that was brought up was to get more money from you.

An engine that burns oil, you would want it to burn the cheap stuff

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. Is it possible I caused any permanent damage for driving on low oil for a few hundred miles?
    Yes. It is always possible.
    2. Can a service center detect any possible effects from this?
    Yes, they may. They also may not.
    3. What are the pros/cons of synthetic oil?
    Synthetic is better oil, but pricier. You are out of warranty in any case, so more frequent changes with cheaper oil may be best. Especially as you seem to be losing oil, why lose the good stuff.
    3. Today's oil change was done at a Firestone and while they didn't do a formal inspection, they sent me home with a list of repairs they said I needed from passive observation or guesses based on my age/mileage:
    -replace poly rib belt
    -replace cabin air filter
    -replace spark plugs
    -Clean fuel system
    -replace shocks and struts
    -alignment

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-08Prius/pdf/T-MMS-08Prius.pdf
    Serpentine belt after 60,000 miles inspect every 15,000 miles until it needs replacement.
    Cabin Air filter replace every 30,000 miles
    Spark plugs replaceevery 120,000 miles
    Clean Fuel System if you must, just buy a can of Tecron.
    Shocks, struts, and alinement depend on the speed you hit bumps, not miles. It is not unreasonable.

7. TravisBe

TravisBe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The last time I read the manual, I seem to recall it ran out of recommendations at my mileage level. Since I bought it used I'm guessing on when some of the high mileage items happened if they've happened yet.

I hadn't considered checking the oil level because up until this summer I hadn't put much mileage on the car. It's a 2008, but I bought it in 2015 with 160k on it and drove it barely 20 miles a day. My oil changes were based on time rather than miles traveled and the oil level never seemed to be an issue. I moved this summer and put a few thousand miles on it in which time things appear to have changed.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still worth taking a look. for instance, plugs get changed every 120k. you can plug the vin into the toyota owners website, and hopefully get some historical maintenance records.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The US Toyota maintenance booklet is frustrating, in that it doesn't include a maintenance chart, summarizing what's in those visit-by-visit descriptions. With a chart you can see the patterns at a glance, and extrapolate the maintenance for cars beyond the limit covered in the booklet.

You can make one yourself: either by hand or in a spreadsheet. Also look around the world for chart format, Australia for example. Though their service intervals are a bit different, and there's some oddities, gas filter change is required, for example.

10. TravisBe

TravisBe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I tracked down most of the car's service history through the Toyota website. The only things I can't account for is what might have been done while it lived at the dealership between owners. It's had 30/60/90k services. At 105k the water pump, drive belt, and engine coolant were replaced. I can't confirm if it had 120k services. There's a gap in the history from 105k to 160k when I bought it. Today the Toyota dealership (not the same one I bought it from) did a thorough check and recommends the following:

A/C belt replacement
    Spark plug replacement
    Fuel injector cleaning
    Transmission flush
    Engine coolant flush
    Brake system flush
    Upper radiator hose replacement
    Lower radiator hose replacement
    Alignment
    Brake cleaning/adjustment

They disagree with Firestone that my shocks are leaking, but at the vehicle's age they said they're due for replacement regardless and could probably start leaking at any time. Since I can't confirm any serious maintenance for 50k miles prior to owning it I'm going to add all of the air filters to the list too. Everything on the list above was quoted at $2100. If I include shocks and struts I'm up to almost $3000. Add in tires that are coming up due and I'm looking at $3400 in work. Does all of this sound about right?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $3400? That is crazy.

There's no need to replace anything you have there. No ac belt either

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. TravisBe

TravisBe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $750 in labor for the two radiator hoses I listed.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never heard of those going bad on a prius

With high mileage on your car and oil burning issues, you shouldn't be spending anything on this car until it actually breaks.

Just keep topping off the oil

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mistiming an oil change is not a serious problem, but driving with the oil so low that you lose oil pressure is. Just understand that these are two different things. One is relatively harmless, the other potentially devastating to your engine. I go one or two thousand km over my normal oil change interval every now and then, but because I top off my oil I have never ran low.

The main benefit of synthetic oil is that it degrades a bit slower than conventional oil so it potentially allows for longer oil change intervals. It does not however reduce your oil consumption, and in some cases may make it slightly higher. Synthetic oil probably wouldn't have helped you with you low oil incident.

Regarding the maintenance, I totally agree with JC91006. At this point you really don't know how much damage you have done to the engine, so don't put too much money into it right now. Keep using whatever oil you've previously been using and watch it VERY closely for a while. You need to establish your base line oil consumption, this will give you some indication of what kind of shape the engine is in (and bear in mind that this can increase with high speed freeway driving).

After driving with low oil pressure you might find that the rate of oil consumption is now increased, so check it every few hundred miles (every tank of gas), at least for a while until you see how it's travelling. If you find that the engine is still ok then look into replacement of transmission fluid, spark plugs and serpentine belt (aka "fan belt"). None of these are expensive items, probably under $500 all up, but check in here with other US members to get a realistic estimate of what you should be paying.

#14 uart, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017