1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Makes Whirring Sound After Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by grogboshie, May 31, 2024.

Tags:
  1. grogboshie

grogboshie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius with about 175,000 miles on it. After driving when I turn the car off there's a loud whirring sound coming from the engine bay that lasts about 10 to 15 seconds. I'm wondering what's making the noise and if there's anything I can repair or replace to make it go away. Here's a video of the sound:

Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Couldn't hear it in the video, but likely the CHS pump filling the coolant heat storage tank for a future low(er) emissions restart.

[​IMG]

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I suspect the CHS pump is being noisy, I check it this way.

Press the power button twice (foot not on the brake). This is "ignition on" mode - but not "ready". Go to the climate control and turn off the blower. Now foot on brake and power button to go ready.

Listen - if you hear the sound for about 5-7 seconds before the engine (ICE) starts, that's the CHS pump. It's a bit worn and noisy.

You can replace it if you want, it lives just in front of the LF tire, but behind the CHS tank in the fender.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.