1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius needs brake actuator replaced, dealership says it's not covered

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Neuropolitics, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Neuropolitics

Neuropolitics New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, so this is my first post. Here's what's going on...

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with 48k miles on it. Low miles, never had any problems.

I was on my way home, with <3 miles to go, and 4 warning lights all popped on at once: 1) The red BRAKE, warning light; 2) The yellow (!), Electronically Controlled Brake Warning light; 3) The yellow ABS, Anti-Lock Brake System light; and 4) The yellow VSC, Vehicle Stability Control light. I didn't drive it for 4 days and then checked again to find all the lights still on, so I had it towed to the nearest dealership...83 miles away.

The dealership runs a diagnostic and says there's no pressure to R rear wheel cylinder and they traced it back to an internal leak in the Brake Actuator. Knowing about the ZG1 Warranty Enhancement (which covers the Brake Actuator Assembly) I say that it should be covered and he proceeds to tell me it's not. I continue asking questions and eventually he says he will need to get back to me. He calls back the following day and he says that he too thought it should be covered, but it's not. Over the course of 4 more conversations I finally can make some sense of why, and found out that in order for the Brake Actuator to be covered by the warranty they need to see 1 or more of the following DTC codes: C1391-Accumulator Leak Malunction, C1252-Brake Booster Pump Motor On Time Abnormally Long, C1253-Pump Motor Relay Function, C1256-Accumulator Low Pressure. My issues only read C1364 and C1342 (Wheel Cylinder Pressure Sensor Malfunction and Front Hydraulic System LH Malfunction).

I was then quoted at $3000 to replace the brake actuator after taxes.

Ok, hopefully it is all making sense up until now. My question is, doesn't it seem silly that they can't replace a part with a known issue that's under an Enhanced Warranty because they don't see the correct DTC codes? By their own admission they traced the issue back to an internal leak in the brake actuator! Anybody know a workaround? I feel like I'm being screwed and I really don't want to pay to replace a part that's supposed to be under warranty.

Also, I asked if it would make sense to run the diagnostics again and he said no, but maybe after driving 100 miles or so. So, I'm also wondering if because I drove <3 miles since the warning lights came on, maybe there hasn't been enough time to trigger the other warning messages. Any thoughts on driving it around (slowly and safely) and trying again? Maybe taking it to another dealership?

#1 Neuropolitics, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should just call Toyota corporate and let them know about it. They'll help you with it

Also file a complaint with the NHTSA

Neuropolitics likes this.
  3. Neuropolitics

Neuropolitics New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I'm planning to call Toyota corporate but won't be able to until next week because I will be working in an area without cell coverage.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They have a toll free number and it's better to get started on the process, it'll take a few days for them to make a decision

5. iamvietdang

iamvietdang Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Call it in and get a case #. Then Toyota will call that dealership to work something out.

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
    2016 NX200t F Sport

6. Neuropolitics

Neuropolitics New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You guys have a 24 hour number? The number I have is for the Toyota Customer Experience Center 1 (888) 270-9371, which operates only certain hours. I can probably reach them early in the morning before I head out of range.

7. Neuropolitics

Neuropolitics New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ***Update***
    Just got off the phone with the Toyota Customer Experience Center and they said that if the dealership found fault with the Brake Actuator, then there doesn't need to be any special diagnostic code and that the Brake Actuator is covered by the warranty. They're going to contact the dealership's Customer Relations Manager (who is higher than my contact in the service center), and notify them for me of the warranty terms and I should have a response within 2 business days. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes smoothly, but now I don't even feel like I can even trust them, you know? Why is it that this kind of behavior is acceptable? I've heard stories like this before, but this is the first time I've experienced anything. Thanks for the help!

Mendel Leisk and thatoneraccoon like this.
  8. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yeah it does sound shady huh, perhaps they were going to try and double dip! Bill Toyota for warranty work, then tell you it's not covered and bill you too. I'd probably go to a different dealer

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do they give you feedback cards there? :ROFLMAO:

10. iamvietdang

iamvietdang Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm actually surprised they gave you resistance. If you had brought it to my dealership, your vehicle would have been repaired already. Toyota pays these dealerships for warranty work. Unless, they've come across this before where they had a similar situation and when they went to process the warranty claim, Toyota denied the repair and back charged the dealership.

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
    2016 NX200t F Sport

11. Patti8050

Patti8050 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same issue with my Prius with 105,000 miles. I certainly don't want to put thousands of dollars into a 12 yr old car. I have been told it is safe to drive, however, I won't have the anti-lock brake system. Back to driving with the old system. Can anyone advise?
    Thank you

Roaming2020 likes this.
  12. Roaming2020

Roaming2020 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi Patti, curious whether you remedied your issue with the brake accumulator?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems pretty unlikely that Patti even had "the same issue" in the first place (the original poster had just C1364 and C1342 (Wheel Cylinder Pressure Sensor Malfunction and Front Hydraulic System LH Malfunction), a combination we don't see around here so much, and that doesn't even necessarily indicate an actuator problem). Without knowing what problem Patti had (as no info was included in the post), it was almost certainly something else.

I wouldn't recommend driving around in a Gen 1 or Gen 2 with the brakes in fail-safe ... you've only got front brakes then.

dolj and Roaming2020 like this.