1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Not Starting after Inverter Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ammon Kegel, Jul 30, 2024 at 1:43 PM.

1. Ammon Kegel

Ammon Kegel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received a notice from the Toyota Dealership that my Power Inverter on my 2008 Prius needed to be replaced. This would only cost me $6,100 to get done!!! After watching some you tube videos and searching the internet. I thought I could replace it on my own. Bought a replacement Inverter and got it all hooked up to find out that it leaked coolant from one of the screws on the inverter. (Screw on the bottom left if looking at it from the front of the car). I then put my old inverter back into the car figuring I will have to order another one. Well, I get everything back together and the car has power but when I try to start it doesn't turn on. I look to see what I did wrong, and yes I forgot to slide the "orange plug down" I did that and still same issue no start. Read on the forums and everyone says you need a new 12 volt battery. I get that so I tried to jump start it. No luck. The lights all work. The doors unlock, the windshield wipers run. Headlights turn on. The indicator lights on the dash seem to be bright not dim. I used a voltage meter on the 12 volt battery it is says ok. I have jumped this car before when we have had 12 volt battery issues I guess have a charger so I am going to try to charge it tonight and see what happens. I have also ordered an ODB2 Scanner from Amazon that should be here tomorrow as well. Maybe that can give me more details. I keep thinking the orange plug didn't get put in right so have tried that about 20 times (making sure it is pushed down). No luck so far. I also understand that the inverter cover has a plug. I guess I am pretty sure it was connected when I put the cover back on. All the screws lined up and even the guide pin on the upper right. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions. Thank you in advance.