1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Smart Key Remote with Silver Logo Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by grathke, Jun 1, 2009.

1. grathke

grathke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wanting to get a second smart key remote (silver logo) for my 2008 Prius. I remember reading that the smart keys are year specific, i.e. a 2006 remote will not work on a 2008. I believe there is a specific one for the 2007 and 2008. How would I know which smart key goes with which year. Is it sufficient to use the MDL # on the inside of the smart key case ?

Thanks
    Glenn

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want the fob to be a true smart key, you will have to buy it from a dealer and have the car programmed to recognize the new fob. Don't buy one from eBay if you want all of the functionality of the SKS.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There was the original 2004 silver keyfob, and then a modified one introduced some time in 2005. The later one works with 2004-2009. The problem is that the SKS functions can only be paired with the car when the keyfob is brand new. Once the keyfob has been used a few times, it can no longer be paired to another car.

The keyfob in the dash function works with any combination of black/silver/2004/2005+ cars/keyfobs. You can program that function yourself with the instructions at http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

4. grathke

grathke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to both of you! I learned something new.