1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius splash shield hanging down. Should I just remove it and throw it in the trash?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Josh Lyman, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought this car in January and the previous (only) owner said he already replaced it once. There was no parking stop incident I recall, but I do slightly bottom out when coming in/out of my driveway. From what I've read, it's a common problem that will keep happening. Does the splash shield actually do anything useful, or should I just remove it and throw it in the trash?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

prius_nerd likes this.
  2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its there for an important reason.

That front cover is very important its the FOD cover to protect the AC Condenser from road debris. Get under there and look up at the front of the radiator above that busted cover.
    Thats the AC Condenser your looking at. One nice rock through it and no ac and your looking at a very big $$$$$ bill.
    Not only that all the road dirt will get sucked in there and clog the condenser up real quick. Most people never clean them.
    That usually damages the ac compressor. Clean condenser keeps the compressor cool and you get very cold ac. I clean mine regularly. Just like my home ac.Basic maintenance.

Btw, I have been through this also and found the under cover panels you buy on ebay are a Chinese joke. There like a piece of flimsy cheap plastic rolled up. Total junk don't waste your money.
    Go online to like Olathe Toyota and buy the original under cover panel. There not expensive.

dolj and bisco like this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like your name.

Btw, my wife is a WW fanatic. I have seen every episode about a thousand times really well done show. Sad to compare what we have now.

5. Josh Lyman

Josh Lyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like I should just get the part from a junkyard whenever a compatible Prius shows up in their inventory, but that it's not a super urgent issue until then. At least, not with the city driving and lack of snow here in Atlanta.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just drill some holes and wire it all up with galvi wire.

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You likely only need a plastic fastner. I bet this fastner gets inserted into a common hole that spans the falling plastic piece and the neighboring plastic piece.

Call/contact Autobeyours, Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana They will likely have the plastic fastner that you need. They will definetly have the hanging plastic piece you are considering to replace.

If you have tools jack stand and floor jack. Take a picture of the underside to see what fastners are missing. This will help autobeyours know exactly which ones are missing.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. prius_nerd

prius_nerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We fixed ours within a couple minutes just now using only some zipties, which are super cheap and easy to use:

donbright likes this.