1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius stalls out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pricejcpd, Mar 24, 2012.

1. pricejcpd

pricejcpd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has started stalling out. I had the codes read a couplt days ago..needs plugs or gas cap gaskets. I disconnected the ground cable to clear codes instead of going to dealer and being charged to clear check engine light. after doing this the car has stalled out twice. The first time I tried jumping it didn't work until I disconnected and reconnected the ground cable, it started after about 5 minutes of being hooked up to my other car. took it for a drive to charge it further after about 15 miles everything was working fine, the hybred monitor was showing good charging. Then all of a sudden the triangle light comes on and all the other stuff, check engine etc. takes a few more miles to stall out. I did the same thing with the battery as before leaving it disconneted for about 5 minutes. reconnected and it starts up and ran fine to home. ?? Did trying to clear the codes the first time cause these problems???

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You might have a better chance in the Gen II or Gen III forums, this is for the Prius v Wagon forum, so not as many standard Prius gurus here.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome: how many miles on her?

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds kinda like inverter cooling pump/system, although being a 2008 it is not subject to the recall. Here is possibly the scenario:

1. Start the car and drive.
    2. Big Red Triangle due to inverter cooling system malfunction (pump, low on coolant, etc). DC converter goes offline.
    3. Stalls out a few minutes later due to dead 12V battery.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I must say, deliberately clearing the very codes that can diagnose your problems seems counter productive to fixing your problem.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A