1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Static through speakers radio, aux and cd.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by B Adkisson, Jan 27, 2024.

1. B Adkisson

B Adkisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the JBL sound system in my prius and just recently have static in all forms of sound through my speakers. Anybody know if this could be the JBL amp or the actual radio? My antenna is intact. I just don't want to buy both if possible.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    at LKQ in places like that they'll practically give you the stereo seriously I don't keep many of the stereo parts around because every time I go to LKQ I know that they'll let me have whatever radio stereo nonsense out of an old Prius that I want or it'll be $10 so does it do it noticeably more if you move the volume knob not the buttons on the steering wheel but the knob I mean when did you all of a sudden notice this what it changed was raining out you added a car play adapter something?

3. B Adkisson

B Adkisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It really started when we had a rainy cold spell in Texas. The weird thing is it's all forms of sound, radio, aux and cd. At first I thought it might be the antenna, but I'm stumped.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So if you move the volume knob just twisted a little bit maybe up instead of down the static stays I'm just curious.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nothing funny going on in the car special police scanners any kind of weird broadcasting devices that you carry for your job sometime I mean I can't even imagine something that could interfere with just your JBL or whatever sounds system came with your car just all of a sudden I mean they're grounds that could be checked but if the grounds were that poor the stereo probably wouldn't work so it seems to be something electrical that's on running trying to run but can't I can't even imagine what it would be.

6. B Adkisson

B Adkisson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't change with the volume, it's constant. It also doesn't get louder when I accelerate. No special connections other than my phone bluetooth that automatically connects every time I get in the car.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was thinking maybe a leaking ignition coil or something but that should go up with RPMs if the ice engines on and revving up and down driving down the road you would tend to hear that up and down revving through the speakers on the radio what have you but then it would seem like it might go away like rolling real slow in a parking lot and the ice engine not on I guess there could be some leakage too for motor generator whichever one drives the car forward does it do it in reverse too weird stuff there. Out of four of these cars I've had no trouble with any radios CD changers CD players etc I have two cars with the full JBL with tweeters in the back doors and all of it six disc changer the whole nine all of it works flawlessly The other three cars are non JBL but have the stereo that plays WMA discs and has an input all of them work flawlessly even the speakers at this age still play perfectly when I had the door panels off there was no surround damage on the speakers nothing they're just old style paper cones and cloths surrounds. Which we changed out for Infinity 6-in mid base drivers and some tweeters and haven't looked back.