1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Top Plastic Radiator Cover.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ronhowell, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm sure many of you are familiar with the top plastic cover on the 2nd gen Prius which covers the cooling fans and radiator just under the engine hood. It is secured by 6 plastic fasteners, which have to be, IMHO, the stupidest type of fastener ever invented!
    I have studied the design format of these things and have yet to determine the correct way to either remove or replace them. Both actions end up being a hassle, and today I broke one of the fasteners when trying to remove it. Maybe the experts use a special tool.

It is of course no major calamity, but I have wondered if any others in the community have figured out how these things should be removed or replaced. Even when replaced in the panel, they don't seem to hold it very securely.

Any constructive comments are welcome.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Ron,

1) Rotate the fastener with a Philips screwdriver while applying upwards pressure on the cover near the fastener. The idea is to pop the fastener out of the hole.

2) The plastic becomes brittle with age and ozone exposure. Don't worry about the fact that some fasteners will break as you attempt to remove them. If you frequently DIY repair, I recommend that you maintain a stock of those fasteners so that you won't be frustrated when they break.

3) Please see my post #4 here: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...bleshooting/30477-plastic-push-fasteners.html

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The easiest way is to push from under the cover. Most of them are within reach. Just curl your finger under and push them out. Easy.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, this is what I do. There is only one that is difficult to reach from below, and for that one I do what Patrick suggested above, I lift the cover slightly.

To replace them, you just push them into the hole.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The -correct- way to release them is to press the centre out half way. I usually end up forcing them out anyway. ;) Just be ready to catch them. They fly very well!

They are cheap and used by most makers. That's why they are there.

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you all for your remarks and comments on how to handle these little tykes. I did finally find some illustrations on removal in my Prius Handbook.

As you say David, they do fly well when trying to extract them, but since they must be cheap enough I should probably pick up a number of them from someplace. Somehow though I imagine that they'd have a huge mark-up at the local Toyota dealership.

Any suggestions on where else I might obtain a supply?

PS. Thank you Patrick for the link.

7. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I found them at Lowe's (the hardware store).

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I found them at a bodyshop supply store.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have half a box of them left over from when I repaired the '08.