1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius Touring recommended brake pads/shoes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RobBobVT, Oct 30, 2014.

1. RobBobVT

RobBobVT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

I have been perusing this forum for a while since acquiring my first Prius at 110k (now 138k), in July '13. Now, it's time for my first brake job. Thanks everyone for the advisement on disconnecting 12V battery. While I don't plan on needing to replace the shoes, does anyone have a recommendation for the BRAND of pad, maybe even rotor, that they are using to achieve the long life as suggested elsewhere? I tend to shop at Advanced Auto, but we have Bond, Fisher, and NAPA in the area as well. Oh, and a dealer too...

Thanks! I'll get some pics of the job as I do it and post to a thread that covers the process.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since these brakes go for over 130k miles, I would just buy the original pads from the dealer. Your extra $20 vs generic pads will go 130k+ miles, well worth it.

Also you probably won't need rotors unless they are scored really bad and making noises when you brake.

Mendel Leisk and RobBobVT like this.
  3. RobBobVT

RobBobVT New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks JC.

Dealer says 52.99 for the pads
    37.36 for shims,
    13.59 for the "fitment kit", described as shims between pad and caliper. I'm assuming those are the little shims that the pad hook ends slide on. Also, 72.61 each for the rotors, if needed.

Sound like $90 or $114 w/kit would be decent for what by all accounts read by others could be the last or second to last pad change on the life of this vehicle!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not exactly which parts you need but you can order any of these parts from online Toyota dealerships. Camelback Toyota in AZ or Autonation in TX are good places to go for online ordering of OEM parts.