1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius w/new battery vs xD or Matrix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AccidentalChef, Jan 21, 2016.

1. AccidentalChef

AccidentalChef New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a fully remote worker, and therefore just need a car for errands, hobbies (getting to climbing gym and local crags), as well as going out to meet people for lunch and such. Would like it to be as reliable as possible, but if the vehicle is out of commission for a few days, no biggy. Just want cheap, reliable transportation.

I am considering three cars:
    1. A 2009 Scion xD, 100k miles, ~$6000
    2. A 2008 Prius, 130k miles, good maintenance records, brand new Toyota battery under 1 year warranty, ~$7000
    3. A 2007 Toyota Matrix, 90k miles, ~$8000

Having a hard time choosing among these. I understand the differences in terms of driving experience/size among these cars quite well. What I want an opinion on is which of these is most likely to yield a low total cost of ownership over the next few years. Hoping to get 5-7 years of basic transportation here, willing to sink in a couple $1-$2k repairs along the way. I am leaning towards the Prius due to the simple transmission design and general overall build quality (feels more "refined" than the Scion, for sure). However, perhaps a conventional drive train will be cheaper to maintain. What do you guys think?

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's tough to know for sure what the future ownership experience of each will be like. That's a very tough decision, as I love all three of those! I would go primarily on what you prefer to drive.

I am completely smitten with the 2nd-gen Pri but I do sometimes yearn for a little hatch with a manual transmission and handbrake (teehee). Do the xD and Matrix have manual gearboxes? Do you like a manual gearbox? That's really all that I miss with the Prius.

That's a very tricky, personal decision. It's anyone's guess how inexpensive each will be to own. They all have great reputations. That would definitely keep me awake at night...I love the 1st-gen Matrix/Vibe (I much prefer it to the redesign of each), and the xD is so plucky--it just wants to go rally!

How are your cargo requirements? All three a pretty versatile with cargo but the Matrix really swallows things up. It's one of those magical, "bigger inside than out" cars and the plastic cargo floor is brilliant.

If it were me, and the xD had a manual gearbox, that's probably the way I'd go, since I've had a 2nd-gen Pri for 8 years (incredible car) and am yearning to flick through the gears and do handbrake turns. Oh, but there's that first-gen Matrix, that would be great too, with gearbox. If the other two have auto transmissions (I hate those, lazy 4-speed slushboxes), I'd scoop up a 2nd-gen Pri. It's really up to you, though. How's that? Helpful, right?

Ah--you're here in town....I've been drooling over this first gen Vibe. If I didn't have a car, I'd want to go check it out.

Pontiac Vibe 2005

I remember test-driving them when they were new--I was in love!

#2 tanglefoot, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    AccidentalChef likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with above, maybe go with the scion and save the 2k for potential repairs.

one think, how are the service records on each vehicle? there all in the high maintenance zone at those miles.

and of course, how do they drive?

4. AccidentalChef

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. I've done tons of research, and it doesn't appear that I'm missing anything with regards to this choice. Decisions, decisions...

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles per year do you drive?

6. AccidentalChef

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to say, been less than a year since I changed my work situation. Was doing 12k a year commuting 40 miles total 3 days per week. Assuming 49 work weeks in a year, thats 12k - (120 * 49) = 6120 miles, so I am guessing about 6k miles per year at this point.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just my humble opinion, but at 6K miles per year, I wouldn't buy a hybrid. If you figure a battery's lifespan to be 10-15 years, you'll never get the ROI back from the extra cost of the hybrid.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That might be true if you were paying full retail on each vehicle, but in this particular case, the Prius is $1,000 more than the Scion, but is $1,000 less than the Matrix. So the ROI argument is pretty much irrelevant.

The Prius having recently had a new Toyota traction battery is pretty attractive.

Data Daedalus likes this.