1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius warning lights with Red Death Triangle and Others

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kingpower, Jul 18, 2024 at 11:05 PM.

1. Kingpower

Kingpower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone @ PriusChat,

I have a 2 Gen Prius with 161k miles and normally gets mileage with 41 miles.

last weeks I come across the red triangle all of sudden and the week before I did the oil change, tire rotation and multi point inspection check which shows no sign of issues.

in addition to the triangle, I also see VSC, check engine, air etc - PFB attached images

when I take this to Toyota dealer and local clay dooley in Bloomington, IL they told the same. Please check the attached pictures

Now, I need to know from this group, what is going to be best solution for this scenario. I want to keep this prius car and would love to run another 50k plus miles on it but how do I get to replace the hybrid battery in this scenario. I reached out to prius king and they said no service in Bloomington, IL and i find so difficult to get one independent mechanic who I can trust in doing the right job. Toyota dealer said it’s going to be around 7k whereas other auto shop quoted for 6.5 k.

I also encountered that the car not going more than 10 miles after stopping at the stop sign and i hear continuous fan kind of sound from rear side of the car. Please give your suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think you have the break actuator problem $7,000 I don't think so It's about a between 11:00 and 1380 part cash and then 2 and 1/2 3 hours to put it on and you need something like an ap 200. To bleed the brakes and all that hell even if you need a hybrid battery after that you still will under seven grand you might have about three in parts and the rest is easy labor you need a 10 mm brake line wrench for changing the actuator gajillions of videos on YouTube and online about doing just this step by steps and all of it this is really an easy job to be honest about it other than the bleed procedure but the work not too bad $163,000 or some odd miles you're talking You're barely broken in good but time has got you here You know whatever 13 years old 12 whatever it is so usually people are in they've got 250,000 on the car or something along those lines and it's getting time to break actuators batteries things like that if the car is reasonable it is certainly worth fixing We generally have three or four of them around here certainly better to hold on to this one than be looking for generations reason 4s You're already in this one a battery in actuator and it's back to like new so unless the car is just thrashed from rushed and abuse then it is probably worth and cheaper to keep her