1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Prius wont start, newbie, trying to help an old friend

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StaffordPrius, Mar 28, 2019.

1. StaffordPrius

StaffordPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, do most of my own mechanic work all my life. I have a 30 year friend with a 2008 Prius with 212K that stranded him in Northeast GA. Nearest dealer is 40 miles away. He asked for my help in getting it to go back to FL. When I first looked at it the 12V was dead (no stored codes) I charged it up (2 yr old batt) now shows 12.7 and the car tried to start (Electric spun ICE) but no start. Found throttle body stuck. Cleaned that thoroughly. Used computer to clear codes. ICE spun again, but no start. Got Red Triangle, and codes C1259, C1310, P3000, P0A80. Hybrid batt bouncing from 164V to 170V. It is obvious it needs new hybrid batt. But should it still start the ICE??

2. StaffordPrius

StaffordPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I should add that I am using my typical code reader that will not pull the toyo specific codes. I will have my other reader and pull the toyo codes in the am with Torq pro, so we don't waste too much time. Just wondering if ICE will start once ICU reads low or varying voltage from Batt pak? I am not very familiar with the Toyo Prii. Own 6 other toyos' though. Mostly 4.7's - don't get nearly the MPG, but got lots of Zoom!

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without the codes. suffice to say for now that the hybrid battery spins up the engine. if it is dead, no go.
    but usually, there are a long time of dash lights before that happens. hearing about the throttle body makes me wonder about maintenance

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you try to start too many times without success you will drain the traction battery. Try replacing the 12 volt battery. A weak one can give very strange error codes from the computers.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At 170 volts, that battery is completely depleted with an average module voltage of 6.0 volts. That battery doesn't have enough power to start a lawnmower, much less a Prius. You're going to need to either recharge or replace the HV battery before the car will be able to do anything. What is his time frame for getting back to FL?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For the pack to be that low, is the car out of gas:whistle:?

I’d say he ran it out of gas and now it’s sitting along the side of the highway :cool:.

But as @TMR-JWAP suggests above, you’ll need to charge the pack up before the Prius will start, so work on that first (y).

7. StaffordPrius

StaffordPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys, thanks for the input! Sorry I was off grid last night... No, it's not on the side of the road. It drove to where I picked it up. Sat for four weeks n the 12v was dead. As I said, it's fairly new and I charged that.

8. StaffordPrius

StaffordPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ice spins after resetting codes, but doesn't start. I don't know any service history. Maybe fuel pump?

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Big battery may be to low.
    It is the big battery that actually starts the car.

The spinning of gas engine is initiated by the big battery. If big battery is too low the engine won't be spun fast enough to get properly start.

Could be a fuel issue too.
    There are steps to check that. Like checking fuel delivery and fuel pressure. Or using starter fluid.
    Feel free to call me and I can walk you through some steps. 608-729-4082

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Pull a spark plug and see how it looks. If engine spinning and not starting its either spark or gas.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. StaffordPrius

StaffordPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Guys! I am gonna pull a plug and see how they look. I picked up a used main batt this am for $50 that is showing 208V. I know it is an unloaded reading, but it was cheap enough, I thought I would give it a shot. After I pull a plug and check it, I will put it in and see what results I get.

SFO and bisco like this.