1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Seaside Pearl. Finally here!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mabelair, Dec 15, 2007.

1. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As some of you who may have followed my 3 month saga, my 2008 Seaside Pearl, Special Edition Premium package is finally here, and it's awesome.

The dealer was really classy and cut me a cheque for the refund of 1% GST which only comes into effect Jan 1st, without even having me ask.

The only problem, of course, is that the SKS system isn't working as intended. I can't start the car without putting the key in the slot, but I can unlock the vehicle with my hand on the door handle. So I'm bringing it back in on Tuesday for them to figure out exactly what's happening.

Anyway, without any further ado, here are two pics I took at the dealership before driving off in the salty/snowy roads!

Thank you all for your support and information. This is a great community.

MAB

http://pics.livejournal.com/mab1981/pic/0001c74b.jpg
    http://pics.livejournal.com/mab1981/pic/0001dhr5.jpg

2. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations!

Get out there and have fun on those snowy, salty streets.

I hope they get the smart key issued resolved.

And please, please try to get that grin off of your face. Yeah, keep trying!!

3. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    New Ride

Congrats on the new set of wheels. I love the color.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did you push the button to activate the SKS system (at the lower edge of the dashboard on the driver's side)?

5. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

As a matter of fact, I figured it out just by looking at the things that were just under the steering column. Turns out that pushing the button made everything okay.

Another interesting note, the tires are actually Bridgestone tires, and not the Goodyear Integrities that I was expecting. Will have to see how everything works out.

Drove it around for about 80km today, managed to average 7.4 L/100km (31.78 mpg) on the MFD, but it's really cold, and I made lots of short trips. I always wasn't trying. I was just driving it for the sake of driving it. I did manage to execute a glide (was just fooling around) which was pretty nifty.

Anyway, fun times. I've got it plugged in right now and staying warm in anticipation of my trip later tonight. Engine Grill Blocking is next on the block. :)

MAB

6. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congratulations! Mods, mods, mods!!!

Exactly what Bridgestone tires are installed?

7. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What is the "Special edition Premium package"?

I have had my "08 Seaside Pearl for a week and 1/2 now and what can I say, it is a blast to drive. It is a package 6, touring, bisque leather, with Sirius, tinting, rear bumper guard and soon to be added mud flaps. What is the Special edition package? The only thing I dont have that I am aware of is the floor lighting package, cargo net, window break sensor, some BS etching on the window of the VIN #, and carbon fiber appearance dash (which could be cool, I havn't see it yet). I too was happy to see Bridgestone Turanzas on my car when it arrived after a one month wait. PSI increased to 42 front and 40 in rear. MPG average 47.3 with the air on 99 percent of the time.

Attached Files:

8. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Package

That is one great looking Prius. These cars are definitely fun to drive. There is just one thing I'd like to get and that is a 'cargo net'. Other than that, I may pickup a set of seat covers by next summer.

Drive safely.:cool:

9. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Bridgestone tires that are installed are Turanzas, P196/55R16.

MAB

10. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Special Edition Premium package is the name of the middle option package available to Canadians. There's the base model, Special Edition Premium which contains Vehicle Stab Control, JBL Audio, Bluetooth, AM/FM CD with MP3/WMA Player, in-dash 6 disc changer, aux jack, 9 speakers, Smart Key System and Backup Camera. the top Model is called Special Edition Premium + Nav, so you can guess what it has. ;-)

MAB

11. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! Yeah, with the huge snow storm yesterday, safe driving was definitely on the menu. We had the cargo net already in the car, and you can be sure I didn't pay for it. Maybe it's a standard feature for us?

MAB

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cargo net, wheel locks, mudguards and carpet mats are standard on our Prius whereas they're all optional accessories in the US.

How'd it fair in that snow storm?

13. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Awfully. Well, sorry, it performed admirably considering the weather, but the windshield wipers are awful (going to get the Bosch Icons), and the Bridgestone Turanzas were very prone to slippage and I almost got stuck in the 15cm of snow on my parent's street. It was only by reversing onto a recently plowed road that I was able to make it out (got a single purple on the battery!).

To be honest though, it seems that it was a pretty decent ride. Understeer was a touch of a problem, but only taking corners too fast (30km/h).

I'm getting Toyo Observe somethingorother tires on (Nokian WRs are out of stock until next year) put on on Wednesday. Will report how it rides then.

My dad had some 1" pipe insulation in his basement so I had enough to do the top two slats in the upper grill. Gonna stop at Rona tomorrow to buy two more pieces, which should suffice. Funny how it's the perfect length.

I'll keep you posted when I play around with the Toyos.

MAB

14. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    did it come with the EBH already installed?? It looks like a plug in the upper grill?:D

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright sounds good. I think there's plenty on the west coast ;). I got my WRs installed a few weeks ago. You'll see a huge difference with the Toyo Observes.

Keep me posted on the wipers too.

16. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, Ranger, it didn't. I had the dealership put one on pre-delivery. I'm about as mechanically inclined as a snail is inclined to move at the speed of sound. ;-)

MAB

17. richard10570

richard10570 New Member

So How's the weather?

The Prius is a great car, the best I'ved ever owned. In the cold weather, 'though, the mileage goes way down; something to do with the engine having to run more to heat the car. Please let us know how you're doing.

18. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The mileage does tend to be suffering right now. My tank average right now is at 8.1 L/100km, which is better than what my Impala was doing at this time of year. Much better. This is compounded by the fact that I make frequent short trips of 5km or so during the day. When I'm just unplugging the block heater, fuel efficiency is pretty decent, but when the car's been sitting in a bitingly cold parking lot for several hours, it's anyone's guess how long it's going to take to get things back to normal.

I'm going to complete the engine grill blocking over the next few days, which will hopefully help. I'm also trying to learn to drive with a lighter foot. :rolleyes:

MAB

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A winter delivery is probably best since it masks the break-in period so you can enjoy "bliss" in the spring in the summer rather than waiting an entire year if you had a summer delivery lol.

20. mabelair

mabelair New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're quite right Tideland. I keep forgetting that even this car has a bit of a break-in period. My odometer's sitting at 258km right now, which is far from a full break-in. In any case, I'm still immensely enjoying driving it, which is ultimately the goal for me: a car that I love to drive. So far, the Prius hasn't disappointed.

MAB