1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 special lugnut-looking for regular replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by genelech, Apr 18, 2008.

1. genelech

genelech Junior Member

Just took delivery of 2008 prius for my wife. Two Prii family now! :) 4 regular lugnuts, and one "special" lugnut per wheel, the special one having a different shape requiring an included socket for tire rotation/removal/replacement/repair. Upon changing out @210 miles the original, Goodyear Integrity POS :mad: tires to Assurance Tripletreds, the tire dealership mentioned the special socket to be a PIA :mad:. Reasons given were that if thief intent on stealing your tires, or more likely your car, this special lugnut wouldn't do a thing. Also mentioned was if special socket was lost, no way to change out your tire by yourself in an emergency :eek:.

Hence, I am looking for a source to replace these 4 special lugnuts with regular OEM lugnuts. I have not found any online sources for these. Does anybody know Any??? :confused:

2. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Go to dealer and request they give them to you. They should have provided to you when you purchased car. I know when I bought my Jeep and they had installed the locking lug nuts they provided the originals in a bag and left them in glove box so that I could do actually what you want to do.

Did you look in all glove boxes, in rear cargo, even under rear cargo to see if they gave them to you?

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 4 regular lugs should have been included with the car despite their adding the "special" lugs.
    Personally, I do not have locks on my wheels and would not have an alarm if it did not come from the factory with the car. They are completely worthless, nobody pays attention to them and they just annoy people. My favorite is those fools that have the alarm that chirps or honks everytime they arm/disarm it.