1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Steering Shaft and Yoke

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Dean, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Daniel Dean

Daniel Dean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2008 Prius with 105k miles recently started having a strange clunking noise when turning at low speed. Dealership diagnosed it as the steering shaft and yoke with a quote of over $800 to replace. I've seen on a few other reports of the same issue and that a few were covered under a recall. Can anyone comment if $800 is typical or if they have had this service covered under the aforementioned recall?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there is a bolt covered. you can plug in your vin at the toyota owners website to see what's what.

Daniel Dean likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Daniel,

Check your VIN on your car and compare it to the pdf file below. If your number is in there, show this to the dealer and ask them if the item that is broken is part of the C0T recall. Page 15 of 33 lists the model year for your car.

Best of luck to you.

Attached Files:

Daniel Dean likes this.
  4. Daniel Dean

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I appreciate the reply. My VIN KB20UX8....is not covered according to the PDF or the Toyota owner page. I'm all for paying people for an honest days work, but $800 for the steering shaft/yoke seems a bit on the high side to me.

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota repairs are usually not cheap, especially if done by the dealer.

I would check the receipt closely. If you see a part # 04001-41212 for the shaft, I would contact Toyota Corporate and ask them if they will reimburse you as that part failed on your car. Even though the VIN is not part of the recall, if that part is the same part then "maybe" Toyota will help you. The worst thing they can do or say is no.

The part # referenced is called out in the C0T recall for the replacement shaft.

Again, best of luck to you.

Daniel Dean likes this.
  6. Daniel Dean

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've reached out to the dealer to see if there is any wiggle room, considering the same part appears to be part of a recall. I'll reach out to Toyota Corporate as well. Thanks again for the information. My 2008 Prius has been a solid vehicle to this point, with only typical maintenance. Hope to get many more headache free miles :).

7. Daniel Dean

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Update...the Toyota dealership replaced the steering shaft and yoke under the recall. Thanks for the suggestion.

dorunron likes this.
  8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's great to hear! Best of luck to you!