1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Touring poor gas mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by iowa55, Apr 22, 2008.

1. iowa55

iowa55 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I owned a 2002 Prius classic and put 130,000 miles on it. Average mileage from day one was 44 mpg to 48 mpg. I bought a 2008 Touring Prius and have put only 2000 miles on it. I have never gotten over 38 mpg with this car. What gives? I'm sorry I got rid of my Classic as there was nothing wrong with it and just wanted to go to a new car.

2. ss02chase

ss02chase New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 and I'm getting over 50 mpg.

3. holy_crap

holy_crap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check your tire pressure, mine came from the dealer with tires pressures ranging from 27 to 34 psi

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also the consumption MPG average doesn't reset automatically anymore either.

5. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What's your average trip length? Trip length is the number one killer of mileage followed by tire pressure. I've had my '08 for 6 months and consistently get over 50mpg. I filled up at lunch and I was disappointed that I only got 51.4mpg this tank. :( Each tank has a good number of miles in the 75+mph range and a few couple mile trips to the various stores around my house during the weekend.

6. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I would suggest the following:

Pump up the tires - I keep mine at F44/R42 now.

Check the oil level - too much oil hurts the mileage.

Does it steer straight when you let go of the steering wheel on level ground? Also when you brake and let go of the wheel? If it does not it may be out of alignment - mine was.

I saw an increase @ 5000 miles. The engine needs some time to break in.

The only other thing I can think of is to check whether the brakes are dragging. When the car is cold, drive it about a mile and then feel the rear drums - they should be cool. If they are hot, the brakes are dragging. (Gurus please correct me if I am remembering this wrong - I can't find the thread that describes how to do this)

Has it been unusually cold? Using defrost or a/c a lot? Car weighted down with cargo? Short trips? These things have killed my mileage at times.

Hope you find an answer. And welcome to PC.

7. iowa55

iowa55 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is it possible that I got a lemon? I've checked tire pressure, oil, no cargo, etc. Thanks!

8. charansr

charansr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am @ 43 on my 2nd tank of gas (416 Miles on car). My commute is 2.5 miles one way with 5-7 traffic lights and weekend freeway miles(as bad as it gets). Considering my weekday commute and the weekend freeway miles i guess 43 is not that bad.

Hope your MPG goes up from here on :)

9. Silver08

Silver08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Newbie to the site and the Prius, but after 1.5 weeks of ownership and almost 800 miles on our 08 Touring Package #6, the wife just pulled 50 mpg avg on tonights fillup. According to my gas recpt (the car showed 49.2) 5.99 gallons filled it and 299 miles on trip odo.

Correct oil level and 38 psi actual tire pressure.

Mostly highway , but when she gets off the highway lots of 35 mph inner city streets to get to each destination. She has picked up the glide method pretty quickly I think!!!!

10. davebernier

davebernier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Three and a half months with my 2008 and the mileage has gone from 46 to 56... I've gone a total of 7200 miles so far... 80 miles per day and then some. I brought the air pressure to 42/40 in the tires and have been running synthetic oil in the engine since the first 1000 miles. Everything else is as it came from Japan.:)

11. 911turbox50

911turbox50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah I'm getting 37 as well...But most of my driving is stop and go downtown Chicago. I did notice I got 45+ on the highway this following weekend ( 30 + highway miles)...So i think your mileage is due to the short trips..

Attached Files:

12. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have 1400 miles on mine so far and am avg. 42.7 so far according to the consumption screen. I haven't checked tire pressure yet.
    None of my drives are under 50 miles round trip.

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you checked your tire pressure, what values did you find for your tires?

Was the oil level between the dots or above the fill dot?

What is your typical commute (miles, speed, city/highway, # of lights, major elevation changes)?

How long is your typical commute or operation of your vehicle?

What has been the temperature where you live (especially when you are driving)?

Specific answers to these questions will help the good people on this board help you eliminate red herrings and isolate actual problems. I have found people here to be incredibly helpful when given the necessary information.

Good Luck!

14. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <-- 08 touring owner/driver

90% freeway cruising 75mph i avg 42+mpg

i dont drive it the FE way either, some say i may even have a lead foot

:D

15. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've said this before but I'm seeing a trend in the Touring models overall getting worse fuel economy than the standards. Most don't believe me and point to the EPA rating being the same but typically EPA rating certifies vehicles by the engine/tranny they're running. I'd imagine in the eyes of the EPA the upgrades of the Touring are probably considered more like a trim package and therefore don't have to have a separate test. The different tires/wheels and especially the rear spoiler can certainly decrease fuel economy.

16. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    wheel/tire combo for sure, but i dont think the spoiler would...then again im no engineer...IMO ill take the 2mpg hit, the touring drives better and suits MY needs :D

17. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You never know. It's possible. I'm thinking something's causing the ICE to be running too much. Is the battery vent in the back seat open to ventilation?

Would it be possible for you to attend a meet in your area and have a more experienced member take it out for a drive? I agree with mingoglia that the touring does get slightly less mpg but I don't think there should be that much of a difference. I was getting mpg in the mid-thirties in the middle of winter when my engine block heater wasn't working and I was only going back and forth to work which is a VERY short distance.:confused:

18. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2008 Touring has 500+ miles right now and I am getting 47-49 mpg. Oil level is at 3.5 quarts and tires are pumped to 45 psi f/r.

19. Luna3

Luna3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've an '08 Touring also. My gas mileage started at about 38, and after 5,000 or so miles is now 48.5 to 49. Give the computer some time to get dialed in.

20. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You could try this, take it up on the highway preferable one that is mostly flat. Reset the consumption screen before you get on the highway. Take it up to 55 MPH and set the cruise and hold it for 10 miles, don't adjust the speed at all unless forced to.

If you have plenty of air in the tires and everything else is good your average should be between 50 and 55 MPG, if not it most likely is slightly out of alignment.