1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 toyota Prius battery etc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jennifer Johnson, May 31, 2019.

1. Jennifer Johnson

Jennifer Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a 2008 Toyota Prius about 4 months ago and it was running fine until last week. The red triangle, ABS, check engine and the circle with the exclamation point lights came on. It drove fine until 2 days after that. Then it was slow to accelerate and even when driving seems to lose power and slow down and a few times it even kept the same speed without me even having to press the gas. I took it to the dealership and the codes were P0A80, p3022, p3000, b2799, p0011 and p1121. They said in order to see if the control system error was accurate they would first have to put a new battery in. I declined repairs because I am not paying that amount! I can buy a battery and am confident I can put it in myself with all the material they have online. I'm just worried it might be the control system too. Would you recommend putting the new battery in and going from there or junk it?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0A80 and P3022 is the really bad ones.
    Your hybrid battery has failed.

Did you buy the car from a dealer or a private party?

3. Jennifer Johnson

Jennifer Johnson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The previous owner probably did a module swap to get the car saleable. Thus the problem with module swaps (temporary repair that can last days/weeks/months; cheap but unreliable repair.

1) The ECUs for the HV Battery are pretty robust; few failures posted here.
    2) I am a NEW OEM HV Battery replacement advocate b/c:
    a) I value reliability, and will pay for it.
    b) I can DIY.
    c) I am not in dire financial straits.
    d) Depends on condition of vehicle (appearance and operability).​

Refurbished/Remanufactured/Used are not any better even w/ a "warranty," b/c lots of companies claim all kinds of things.

NEW OEM or new cylindrical modules (2k1Toaster's company: NewPriusBatteries.com) is best for long term reliability, but the most "expensive."

If Royse City is in Texas, contact member Matt (@Texas Hybrid Batteries) or on his website (Texas Prius Battery Replacement).

Skibob and Jennifer Johnson like this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might be able to look up service history at Toyotaowners.com to see if previous owner ever brought it in with a bad hybrid battery.
    At 180,000 miles there is still life left in it. I see plenty of 280,000+ mile cars.
    So if another 100,000 miles is worth it to you, I'd go for it.

Jennifer Johnson likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is becoming a familiar story. People buying a used Prius then having traction battery trouble. For the most trouble free repair buy either a brand new Toyota or a 2k1toaster battery.