1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Toyota Prius gas engine 60000 miles does it sound ok

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amjohnson, Apr 28, 2016.

1. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey everybody I would like to know what your opinion is I just purchased this vehicle last Saturday with 60,000 miles on it after reading lots of your post about engine noise you have me a little worried I have test-driven a generation 3 Prius and now this one I bought this one I just want to make sure that I still have a warranty through the dealer I bought it through if everything sounds okay I will post a video please let me know if the motor sounds okay it is at a cold start around 40 degrees in Minnesota also there's no check engine lights or anything on it I just want to make sure that everything is normal thank you

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 amjohnson, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That engine is not the same as a Gen3, it sounds normal. How does it sound after it's warmed up?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a Gen II Prius to me. I used to have one. Now I have a Gen III.

Make sure the oil level is close to the top dimple, but not OVER the dimple. A 1/4 inch over is okay, but not recommended. If the oil level is below the LOWER dimple, you are way low on oil.

The amount of oil between the lower dimple and the upper dimple is 1.6 quarts (NOT one (1) quart like most cars). The capacity of the Gen II oil is 3.9 quarts. With that said, if it is below the lower dimple you would have no more than 2.3 quarts of oil in the engine which really is not sufficient. It is best to keep the oil level between the two dimple's and close to the upper dimple but not above.

The trick to that one is this. When you change the oil and filter simply add 3.5 to 3.75 quarts of oil with the filter change. Then just keep it close to the top dimple with the extra oil if you need it between changes. If you put the whole 4 quarts of oil in it, it will be overfilled and the dipstick will show the oil about 1/4 of an inch above the top dimple. It is a common mistake that many do on the Gen II Prius, so don't get alarmed. What happens is excess oil ends up in the intake manifold and creates problems.

I listened to the entire video you posted. All I hear is the engine and nothing else really. It is a little noisy, but without checking the oil level I can't say anything else.

Hope this helps you and "Welcome to Prius Chat"! (y)

4. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  5. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing that is very much overlooked is valve lash settings on these engines. They have mechanical valves, not hydraulic, and they should be adjusted to maintain fuel economy. I just purchased another gen II and it sounds like a singer sewing machine with 180k on it. Timing chains seldom break, BUT thy get loose and they stretch. A stretched timing chain will lead to retarded valve timing, increased high rpm power and cylinder pressures, but a loss of torque, volumetric efficiency, and increased BSFC (fuel consumption). Not to mention that ignition timing advance will get pulled back because of knock that will happen with the higher cylinder pressures at high rpm, resulting again in loss of power on the fuel the car is intended to run on. As they age, with carbon build up and retarded valve timing, the net result will be a loss of power and economy when running low octane fuel. 60k is nothing for these engines. I would be extremely excited to get one with 60k on it (depending of course on how it had been driven). But again. A valve adjustment does wonders, but it is a pain. IfbI remember right, there are no shims like other Toyota engines with mechanical lifters, the lifters / cam followers/ tappets/ themselves come in different sizes. There is a chart in the service manual for proper lifer selection and part numbers. But you are a long way from having to do this, unless the previous owner never changed the oil.

XT1585 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tony,
    Won't that be compensated for by the engine ECU? amjohnson,Sounds normal to me.

7. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you so much how many miles do you suggest before adjusting them do you think it sound alright I thought I was a little loud but i am a girl so what do I know

8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It will louder when its cold. Once it gets warmed up, it will run much quieterHonestly, these engines are really bullet proof. I know a guy who sells salvage Prius engines and he can't sell them because failures are so rare on them.

9. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  10. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It looks like you could add a bit more, be careful, it takes time to drain into the pan where the dipstick goes, so put a tiny bit in, maybe half a cup? Wait about 3 minutes and check it again. XT1585 ? Wait.....!!! Which end is which? I can't tell from the photo on my small phone screen XT1585 ? I was seeing the picture upside down. Sorry. Your oil level is fine.

XT1585 ?

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long since the last oil change?

i have never heard of anyone adjusting the valves, although i have heard that there's a cover over the timing chain adjustment or something.

12. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do not add more at all. You're oil is fine and your car is fine. Idk how much you paid for it but, it looks like you got a good one.

14. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The oil is fine, I was seeing it upside down. Sorry.

XT1585 ?

15. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    usnavystgc likes this.
  16. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good car, fair price.

XT1585 ?

bisco likes this.
  17. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    usnavystgc and bisco like this.
  18. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The ECU can only compensate for so much. Without valve adjustments and timing chain replacements on higher mileage engines, higher octane fuel may be needed to keep the knock under control so it doesn't retard timing. It can be seen on the techstream. -3° for knock is relatively normal, sometimes potholes can even register as knock and pull back ignition timing, it gets really bad if suspension components are worn because there is more noise transmittsd to the engine's knock sensor.

XT1585 ?

19. amjohnson

amjohnson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One question for you all the computer gas miles say 48.5 but calculated at the gas sataion 41.5 it is really that far off?

20. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard a lot of people say that their speedos are off by 1 or 2 mph. You have to fill it up a bunch of times and take an average. These tanks have bladders in them that can limit how much fuel can be put in the tank because the cold weather makes them stiffer. Use Ulysses's Speedo from Google Play, or torque that has a function to calculate Fuel economy from satellite, or it can average satellite with vehicle registered speed. Remember that tire wear can alter the registered speed to the combination meter in the dash.

XT1585 ?