1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Toyota Prius Road Test

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit, this might just be the most impressive vehicle I have ever driven - times two. You see, as far as Toyota Motor Corporation's hybrids are concerned, the Toyota Prius and the Lexus LS 600h L take their positions at opposite ends of the spectrum. That is, in terms of expense, the former is the least while the latter is the most. Let's just say for now, without going into much detail, that you can almost buy the Prius with the amount you would spend on the Premium package of the LS alone. But that's not what impressed me the most.

Before I get into that, why mention the LS? Well, this is a Toyota Prius road test, without a doubt. But, the only difference is that I've just spent time behind the wheel (and stretched out with my feet up in the back seat while watching TV and enjoying a shiatsu massage) in a Lexus LS 600h L. So, to mark my transition, I've decided to include a thought or two, or three, on the Lexus in addition to what you're actually here to read. After all, aren't all hybrids alike?

Carpages.ca - 2008 Toyota Prius Road Test

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    1. Atkinson cycle. There is no supercharger, so it's not a Miller cycle.
    2. The Corolla would not get that good mileage in the winter. It also suffers in the cold.

Nitpicking, yes. But I insist on having "test reports" accurate!

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: #2. You should've seen what Louey or whatever his name is wrote about the HiHy lol.

4. ktoepp

ktoepp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the CVT why would this guy want a tachometer?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people are stuck to old habits. I'm sure we all have something that we'd like to remain the same.

6. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another error, that B mode regens more. Hope no Prius owners out there read this article and start popping into B with every downhill. How did the author make such a booboo? Intuition?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An RXh swears by it and uses it all the time (even though it may spin the engine if the speed is high enough).

However, if you use B below 33km/h, it will give you max regen (without spinning the engine). It's a good way to learn how much to brake and I used it to teach myself how to get close to max regen using the brake pedal.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very good point on regen while in B mode... the article was long and good for the most part, but he could have at least tried it a little after the weather cleared up...

heck, i couldnt get mileage that low driving less than 80 mph if i wanted to.

in my 2004, i helped deliver the morning paper (the acid test for efficiency) and still averaged 42 mpg during the 3 days i did it.

9. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's an FE thing. The ICE in the Prius is sooooo quiet that it's often hard to tell when the thing is over-reving. No, this isn't really a concern about red-lining or shifting, this is about keeping the ICE from using more gas than it absolutely has to.

It's fairly well documented in the FE threads and on various other sites that there are "sweet spots" across the rpm range for the ICE. Without a tachometer it's really guesswork to tell if you're in those ranges.

I think for clarity it's also important to point out that Toyota didn't leave a tachometer out of the car, they just didn't provide facility for the driver to view the data. It's apparently fairly easy to add a tach (the ECM lead with the signal on it is documented in the KB, see http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/11929-list-known-hacks-easter-eggs.html, or http://www.vfaq.net/pics/04_TachECM.gif) and/or you can just add a Scangauge.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh you'll hear the Prius if it's over 4,000rpm lol.