1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 Toyota Prius with P0A80, P3000, P3023 & P3024 - high revving slow acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freddywayne, May 9, 2023.

1. freddywayne

freddywayne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Toyota Prius with P0A80, P3000, P3023 & P3024. Red Triangle ⚠️, VSC & ((!)) warning lights. Hybrid battery intake fan comes on once the warning/trouble codes are triggered but, I can make them go off by clearing codes with my OBD2 scanner. Also, the engine goes into a high-rev stall (like the engine braking is engaged). When the vehicle sits over night, it operates okay for a few miles before warning lights & slow acceleration begins. Stopping & shutting off the vehicle then restarting let me regain normal acceleration until the cycle starts all over again. One shop charges me over $1k to replace the left-side axle, spark plugs & oil to try and resolve the slow acceleration issue but, it didn't work. Finally, while driving a week ago, I heard a loud shotgun bang and then saw smoke come from the backseat (intake exhaust vent) smell like an electrical wire burn.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well what you are experiencing is a hybrid battery failure. Not sure why you would think a mechanic can fix a different area of the car when the problem is clearly in the hybrid battery. The loud bang is probably a module exploding, so best to be extra cautious as you decide your next steps. If this were my car, I would not drive it anymore until I can replace the battery

freddywayne likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    DAum freddywayne. That's costly . Make me buy some tools.more than likely you're HV battery failing or the connections to it are badly corroded.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Around this forum, there are pretty frequent posts saying that if you keep clearing battery end-of-life warnings and keep driving long enough, you can make a bang and bad smells from the back seat.

site:priuschat.com "bang and bad smells" - Google Search

But it is helpful every now and then to have a post like yours, to show we haven't just been making it up. :)

I'm sorry about your battery ....

freddywayne likes this.