1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 w/ 78K miles for $15K...good deal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Thomas Ziongas, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Thomas Ziongas

Thomas Ziongas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

New to this forum and the hybrid world. I have done some research and it looks like these cars and pretty reliable but I just wanna know what you guys think. Is this a good deal? Its certified and looks to be in great condition. Is there any problem with jumping into a car with so many miles? Gonna try to lower the price if I can, but at the end of the day if they dont, is this a good price?

I know this similar question is probably posted 10 million times a day, so I apologize but any help would be appreciated.

I saw somewhere to look for :
    Check car fax and ensure no accidents, ensure they followed maintenance regiment - 5k oil, 15k service

- New 12V battery (expected life of 4 years - 2006 prius would require new one soon)

- Check that transaxle fluid was replaced

- Shifting of car gears should be completely not felt by driver due to CVT

12V Battery health check; replace if weak
    Alignment check; rear can't be adjusted so don't accept a bad one
    (especially in your case, brand new tires may hide evidence of poor alignment)
    Get a list of TSBs, look out for the described symptoms in test drive
    Above 35-40K miles, get them to do an ATF drain and fill if it hasn't been done
    If they can't/won't produce service records (scary by itself) you can check them at Toyota Owners Online | Official Toyota Owners Website - just claim the VIN as yours.

Ask or check:
    4. When was transaxle oil last changed? Wrong answer: never. Negotiate a lower price.
    5. Inspect the throttle (remove air cleaner) for 'crud'? Something for an early look.
    6. What does the tire wear look like? Fixable, look for evidence of uneven wear. Negotiate alignment report.
    7. Was the gas paddle “fixed” during the recall?\
    8. Check the production date in the doorplate. It may be, for instance, a 2005 model when the seller says it’s from 2006 (perhaps registered early 2006)
    9. Did you ever change the ATF (Tranny Fluid)? Toyota says it only needs changing in "Harsh Use". Lab testing has shown that it should be changed every 60,000 miles. It should cost about $100 at a dealer.

here is the car :
    Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius in Fayetteville, NC 28303: Hatchback Details - 324376499 - AutoTrader.com

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it's a good deal on a certified. anywho, a good deal is the best deal you can find, right?

3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are better deals such as:
    Find Your Car: Toyota Prius Listings Near Fayetteville, NC 28314 - AutoTrader.com

If your budget is limited, get a $10K prius with 100k miles on it, like 2004. As long as the condition is good, you will save $5000 without much compromise. My 2004 was bought in 2010 with 110K on it, no any issues at all, and I drive it a lot, now at 163K mile, only changed oil and 12V battery.

$15000 is too close to $23000 original price, with 4 years age and high miles on it.