1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 / 2010 PRIUS RUMOR -or- TRUTH ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FloridaWen, May 15, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am not sure if this is a rumor or truth, but I read this in another Prius Forum thread:

Toyota is planning a redesign of the Prius, which will be a plug-in (electricity is still cleaner energy than gasoline) either in 2009 and 2010 but have not released information about price.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a rumor that may turn out to be the truth. But there has been no confirmation of the rumor by Toyota yet.

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota may offer the plug-in as an option but it makes no sense to force people to plug their cars in as it would limit their appeal.

I do believe that the next Prius is going to make America buy it like crazy...

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    For over a hundred years, people have been forced to plug in their cars...to a dirty gas station pump.

Today, how would that be different with electric cars? You get to plug it in at home (while sleeping), at the mall (while shopping, taking in a movie)...it seems a no-brainer, but with all the "hype" (or propaganda), plugging in seems to be advertised as bad. Hmmm, think about the simplicity.

I don't get it. NEVER plugging in at some remote gas station, instead, refueling my car while I do something else...sign me up!

Toyota may rue the day it advertised the "best part of a hybrid? not plugging in". I'm just saying...

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 15 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]442405[/snapback]</div>
    The thing about a PHEV is that you don't HAVE to ever plug it in. Toyota would just have to market it the right way- you can plug it in if you want to, or never plug it in if you don't want to. I don't like the idea of encouraging people NOT to plug in a PHEV, but if that is the price we have to pay in order to make the car marketable so that we can get our hands on it...

6. tiger roach

tiger roach New Member

My stance on "plugging in" will depend on how long it will take to charge and how much juice it will use (cost of electricity from wall vs. gas).

7. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think its a really dumb idea. The whole reason I chose the prius over a PHEV is because I dont have to plug it in. What about the people that live in apartments?

8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

The best option is multiple options. Meaning getting power for best price AND more environmentally friendly.

A great option, if you can afford it, is putting solar panels on your house (or yard or ...) and charging up batteries which you then connect to at night where it can charge while you are asleep. Sure that costs money, but doesn't everything? Nothing is free. Note that the price from the grid is going to keep going up. That's the only sure thing. That and the price you paid for the solar panels and batteries will have been already set at the time you bought them.

I haven't done that yet. But we are planning on moving in the next couple of years. Once we do I fully expect to once we move.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 15 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]442477[/snapback]</div>
    It's dumb b/c you live in an apartment? Nobody's making you trade in your Prius and you could still use a PHEV and never plug it in and still get great gas mileage. I'm not sure what makes you feel this is 'dumb'....

Reducing fossil fuel use doesn't seem dumb. Even if cost is higher than for gas (which is extremely unlikely) I'd still take a PHEV just to reduce gas use...the same reason I paid the so-called "hybrid premium" to get a Prius.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah... the point of a PHEV is you have the OPTION of plugging it in IF you want to. If you don't, then just enjoy the next gen Prius as a regular hybrid. If you want to get the full experience, then plug it in.

It's like saying, HDTV is a dumb idea, why don't I keep my regular LCD TV. Well, you can still buy a new LCD HDTV and enjoy the size and quality of it or you can utilise it to its fullest with an HDTV cable/sat box and HDMI/DVI.

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking forward to the PHEV Toyota Prius. Plug-in to by-pass gas stations on the local level. Earn part of the charge via photovoltaic panels - further reducing my carbon footprint. Toyota bring PHEV on and teach the world!

Science News has a report this week than ethanol is equivalent to oil regarding emissions. Ethanol is a short-term gap solution. PV & PHEV are a better short-term solution. PV, PHEV and light rail are better long-term solutions.

12. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 15 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]442549[/snapback]</div>
    I've got to agree with that statement. Besides, what if - a few months after you buy your PHEV Prius - something comes up and you wound up moving into a house anyways? What if you had a PHEV then? Then, when you had moved to a house, you'd be able to utilize it.

13. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was under the impression that you HAD to plug in a PHEV in order for it to work correctly like a hybrid. If you didnt plug it in, it was a normal ICE car. I liked the prius because it charged the battery off wheel movement and the ICE, so you didnt ever have to plug it in.

I was under the impression that you HAD to plug in a PHEV in order for it to work correctly like a hybrid. If you didnt plug it in, it was a normal ICE car. I liked the prius because it charged the battery off wheel movement and the ICE, so you didnt ever have to plug it in.

Sorry, I'm all new to this hybrid/PHEV stuff so bear with my noobness.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 15 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]442598[/snapback]</div>
    Oh... nono.. yeah it'll function like a normal hybrid. Of course, unless GM messes things up and confuse people with the VOLT and its series hybrid setup. (i.e. EV for the first x miles then gas comes on to charge the battery to power the car).

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 15 2007, 02:37 PM) [snapback]442598[/snapback]</div>
    That's OK- a lot of people have that misconception. Just like many people out there still think that you have to plug in a Prius, when of course you can't. We just need to make sure that we can inform everyone that's here, because obviously the people on PriusChat are more intelligent and more tech-savvy than the average person. :) SO before we can hope to educate the general public, we have to make sure that everyone on PC gets the scoop.

So repeat after me, You don't HAVE to plug in a PHEV- only if you WANT to!

16. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    so what are the benefits of plugging it in or not. If you dont HAVE to, then why do?

17. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 15 2007, 08:38 PM) [snapback]442877[/snapback]</div>
    Why? Because, if you drive a PHEV and plug it in at night, and you have a 7.5 commute like I do, you can drive to work entirely using the electric motor- essentially, you have an EV. It takes less energy (and costs less than the gasoline to drive the equivalent distance) to charge the batteries using an outlet. If you get your electricity by solar panels, that's even better. It's not really an option for my house, but I pay to get my electricity from renewable sources (or, more precisely, to produce the equivalent amount of electricity from renewable sources), so in essence I'd have a non-polluting car, at least fro commuting. For longer distances, it functions just like a conventional hybrid (i.e. the current Prius).
    Now, if you don't want to plug it in, you don't need to. But then, you would be using the ICE during that 7.5 commute and hence gas.

18. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 15 2007, 01:00 PM) [snapback]442499[/snapback]</div>

Here here! I'm with you on that one Evan!

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ May 15 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]442877[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, pretty much what Larkin said. If you do short trips, you won't hurt your mileage cause you can EV it from your house to the destination and back. After you get home, you can plug it in to charge. If I do that with my Prius right now, the battery will be drained when I get home but because I can't plug it in, the engine will have to do the recharging the next time I start up.

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ May 15 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]442911[/snapback]</div>
    Shouldn't it be "Hear, hear"?

:lol: