1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 - ABS, VSC, Brake lights, dash flashing... car will not start, move...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MoUD, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MoUD

MoUD New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 Prius came to a complete stop after being driven 8 miles yesterday. I pulled into my driveway and the VSC, ABS, master warning light, ((!)) and brake lights came on. The master light later turned off, but the rest are still on. The car will not move, start, etc… When I press the power button, the gear symbols light up, as well as the fuel bar, and all lights constantly flash.

In an effort to solve this, I added more brake fluid, even though it was nearly at the full line. I added coolant, which seemed to be pretty low. I tested the 12v battery and it only reads 8-9 volts. I did charge the 12v overnight but there has been no change.

The car has 16k miles. I do have a salvage title due to a front driver’s end accident before purchasing the car. I have been driving the car for nine months with the only problem being a temperamental AC system.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Even thoughts on how I can get the car into neutral to move it from blocking the other cars in my driveway. Thanks!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you have a failed 12v battery. Replace it. You also may want to investigate what is draining it.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Replace the 12V battery.

2. If the Prius is blocking your other cars so you can't drive to the Toyota dealer to buy a replacement, then you'll need to jumpstart the Prius so that you can move it. Make sure that you do not reverse battery polarity, because if you do then you likely will destroy the inverter which will result in a four-digit repair bill.

4. MoUD

MoUD New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot! I did try to jump the battery but it will not jump. I think there might be a relay or sensor that is stopping the juice going into the battery to up the voltage enough to start the car. The dash lights (ABS, VSC, etc…) still light up during this process. I'm replacing the battery today and can hopefully find out if there is a drain somewhere.

Thanks for your responses!

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Must be a short it the 12v ? Replace it and then things should come to life! Hal