1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Detroit Auto Show: Toyota Bringing Electric City Car

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Steve321, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Steve321

Steve321 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the briefest of releases, Toyota said today that it's braving the Detroit winter to introduce not only its 2010 Prius but also, a city car powered by electricity.

Toyota's announcement:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!! great list!

Thanks for the link...that's a darn exciting step forward for Toyota to put forward an EV...I'll take baby steps, esp. in these economic times.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very interesting, but it is only a concept car... vaporware from Toyota!!?

Come on Toyota, let's make it real. Don't fail me now.

And for an EV, where do they get, "40 miles per gallon?"

Gallons of electrons? That I'd like to see... sounds like cold fusion.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

[​IMG]

there is teaser pic :)... thats front grille, right? :)

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jalopnik is reporting that it will be based on the iQ and although it will offer limited range, it will be priced affordably with a price point around $20,000.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

that would be kicking-butt :)

7. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll take two, if they're small. :p

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That would be sweet if it is $20k. You can get it with the next gen Prius (or Insight II) for about the same price as one Volt.

10. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    And then there are all those pesky buyers who vote with their wallet. I certainly hope the press is insanely super critical so that I can get one without it being way over MSRP.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well same people who say that it will be based on iQ and around 20k, also mention in the same sentence how iQ will be introduced at cheaper than Yaris price, which is actually false information, so lets take their info with grain of salt :)

12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are referring to my article from motorauthority.com the authors are talking about the US market not Europe. The iQ must cost less than the Yaris to be successful in the US market. Americans see value in size and will not pay more for a smaller car if the same company offers a larger car for less. The only exception is with sports cars.

I also think you are splitting hairs about pricing for iQ vs. Yaris. Yes, the Toyota UK website does show that one trim level of Yaris costs 300 pounds less than the base iQ. (On the road pricing including taxes) However, the Yaris doesn't have side airbags, stability control, air conditioning, or alloy wheels. All of these are standard features on the slightly more expensive iQ

The base iQ costs 7,451 pounds before taxes or $11,084 at current currency conversion rates. If Toyota brought the iQ to the US at the current UK price it would be almost $1,000 less than a 3-door Yaris. Considering that all cars sold in the US are priced below similar cars in Europe I wouldn't be surprised if the savings are even greater.

An ICE powered iQ priced at $11K would be the death of an EV iQ priced a $20K. The economics will kill sales for all but the most passionate EV enthusiasts. If Toyota is serious about selling an EV in the US it will need to be stand-alone model. Bring the iQ to the US only as an EV.

13. Steve321

Steve321 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota Goes Electric With a Hush-Hush Concept
    [​IMG]

Nice to see the vehicle.

"Toyota is bringing a small electric city car concept vehicle to the Detroit auto show, where it will appear alongside the redesigned Prius hybrid.
    No one's saying much about the car beyond confirming it is purely electric and smaller than a Prius. "It's a concept we are bringing to the show basically to confirm our interest in electric vehicles," spokeswoman Jana Hartline says, according to the Detroit Free Press. "

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That is a picture of the Toyota iQ, a current production model sold in Japan and Europe. Toyota has given no information on what the EV concept will look like. It is pure speculation that EV will be based on the iQ.

15. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $20K! For a tarted-up golf cart! Toyota should be able to do better than this! Let Honda have at it, bet they could come up with a competitive alternative at a lower price.

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    base price for a pure is $11,590 I believe. Your price is probably the $16k passion cabriolet with options (comfort package for example)

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Micro cars such as the fortwo and the iQ are really expensive to manufacture. You have to downsize everything while still meeting performance, fuel economy and safety standards. That's quite a feat. To recover the R&D, these vehicles are marketed as "premium" vehicles so they will have features usually found in more expensive cars (like leather seats, nav, SKS, bluetooth, alloys, heated seats etc etc).

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could have bought a larger car in the Camry for less than a Prius and 1,000,000 Prius drivers did the same thing. Tell me again why the iQ wont sell.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

pretty much everything you said is wrong... It does not matter what "should" be the price, iQ costs Toyota more than Yaris due to re-invention of some basic parts that are taken for granted.

iQ will cost the same as mid level Yaris - ie around 14k-15k...

In eastern europe, we delayed introduction of iQ because we think it would be too expensive at prices that we will get it at. Its great, but they wont lower the price of the car to the point where they wont make any money.. We already make minimal margins on small cars due to pricing issues as it is.