1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 fob question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nova, Jul 23, 2009.

1. nova

nova Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius with pkg 6 and SKS. I want to buy an extra fob, but I'm trying to save money. The dealer wants over $300 for a programmed SKS fob. I asked if I could use the non-SKS fob and wasn't given a straight answer, but was told the price was similar. I can buy a new non-SKS fob on the Internet and program it myself for much less. The question is: Will it work (even if I program it correctly)? I've read many, many threads on PC about fobs but can't find one that directly answers my question.

Thanks.

2. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can not answer your question, but shop around for the sks fob. Several local dealers (cincinnati,oh)give 10% off ($175) and one dealer programed mine for $40. Check toyotapartsexpress.com. They have good discounts on genuine new parts. The new ones on ebay may not really be new and thus cannot be fully programed.

1 person likes this.
  3. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Nova:

There is a thread or two that deals with this issue. From what I remember, a non-SKS will work to open doors and run the car, but of course the SKS function will not work at all. Patrick, John or someone else may read this and be able to give you a definitive answer.

I bought an extra SKS fob right after getting my 2009; they took a little off due to their mistake of ordering the wrong fob the first time. But even still, price for the the fob and programming was around $260 to $280 dollars.

1 person likes this.