1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009: Gas Gauge Suddenly Blinked "Add Fuel" with 7/10ths

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tovli, Apr 22, 2020.

1. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My 2009 Prius is exhibiting a COVID-19 symptom I have not heard on the news. I last filled it and drove it three weeks ago so it was down 110 miles when I started it today.

- If my memory serves, it showed 8/10 or 9/10ths when I started it today
    - After 2 miles, the gas gauge went to one blinking bar.
    - At the gas station, I restarted the car - it said "Add Fuel" on the multi-display
    - I was only able to put in 0.15 gallons ($0.27)
    - The gas gage eventually climbed to 3 segments, but dropped to 2 segments after driving 3 miles.

Is this a self repairing thing or needs the shop?

MRich likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    usually it's the rubber bladder inside the tank expanding and contracting. but in this environment, i would rest the 12v health

kenoarto and tovli like this.
  3. MRich

MRich New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My 2008 just started having the same issue last week! Tank is completely full but showing empty now. This is the second time it has done this. Any updates to this issue?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned below of what needs to be reset after reconnecting the 12 V battery, you will need to get your battery tested. Depending on that outcome you may need to get your 12 V battery charged back up. If your battery tests bad, you will need to replace it.

After ensuring the 12 V battery is good and charged up, try parking on a flat (i. e. level) surface then disconnect the 12 V battery for 30 seconds. After this, you will need to reset the clock, reload your radio station presets (so make notes before, if you care to), reset the auto-up on the driver's window, and you will lose your miles and average MPG on the consumption screen as well as the trip A and B info. The benefit is the gas gauge will recalibrate after you drive for a short distance.

Note, for the first start after reconnecting the 12 V battery you will need press the Power button for a second time all the while holding your foot ON the brake in order to get it to go in ready. When you press the Power button the first time, expect the MDF to power up and all the error lights on the dash to cycle to indicate they are working. On the second press, the dash lights should all go out, and the MDF should power on fully to one of the "Info" screens (Consumption or Energy Monitor).

I hope that helps.

#4 dolj, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020