1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Honda Pilot

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by TimBikes, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I saw this rendering of the Honda Pilot and thought it looked pretty nice. I'm hoping for decent mpg and decent room in the 3rd row (the MDX is a bit skimpy on both if you ask me). A diesel engine may be introduced on the Pilot as well. Rumor is March to May '08 timeframe for availability - probably a year sooner than a re-designed Odyssey, from what the rumors say.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad. The front looks kinda like the current 4Runner. I never did like the current design of the Pilot. It was a bit boxy and very conservative.

A diesel engine wouldn't be bad especially, as you've said, they were planning to put one in the Odyssey. (I'm sure Honda is preparing for a possible Sienna HSD hence the diesel in their minivan). It'll be nice to compare the diesel Pilot to the HiHy.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: 2009 Honda Pilot - with NEW Photos

Here is a photo:

[​IMG]

It looks like a cross between a Ford Escape and a Suburban to me. I'm not crazy about the look. Honda took it conservative here and didn't get too bold with the design. I think the Saturn Outlook / GMC Acadia looks much nicer - see link.

There is also a press release with video here.

If you look closely at the interior video, the 3rd row seat legroom looks skimpy, unfortunately. It is a bit hard to tell, but doesn't look promising. It will likely work in a pinch but is not a seat one could expect to use day in and day out for anything but a small child.

I wonder what the mpg will be. I'm thinking on the order of the Acura MDX - maybe a bit better. The current model gets 16/24 - but they do mention an improvement in their VCM system for '09, so maybe that'll help.

4. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: 2009 Honda Pilot - with NEW Photos

Here is a photo.

It looks like a cross between a Ford Escape and a Suburban to me. I'm not crazy about the look. Honda took it conservative here and didn't get too bold with the design. I think the Saturn Outlook / GMC Acadia looks much nicer - see link.

There is also a press release with video here.

If you look closely at the interior video, the 3rd row seat legroom looks skimpy, unfortunately. It is a bit hard to tell, but doesn't look promising. It will likely work in a pinch but is not a seat one could expect to use day in and day out for anything but a small child.

I wonder what the mpg will be. I'm thinking on the order of the Acura MDX - maybe a bit better. The current model gets 16/24 - but they do mention an improvement in their VCM system for '09, so maybe that'll help.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tim,
    Diesel engine will not be available on Honda products until 2010 and beyond.
    Honda CEO announced that i-DTEC (Honda's new diesel engine line) will be first available on Acura product for 2009 models (meaning this fall). Its availability on Honda product will be after 2009 (therefore as early as 2010). 2.2L will come first, then, a 3.0L i-DTEC. You will probably see the first i-DTEC on Acura TSX, which is all-new for 2009.

Personally, I am disappointed at the look of new pilot. I have decided to buy Mazda CX-9 after seeing the new look. Mazda CX-9 just got another award in Detriot autoshow for being truck of the year.

6. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info ceric. I'm disappointed in Honda too.

I like the CX-9 a lot. I saw them in the dealership showroom and thought it was pretty nice. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of legroom in the backseat (I have to accommodate growing kids). I also have a friend who has the CX-7 which I rode in and I was not too impressed with the interior materials and thought the ride was a bit noisy. But I still have it in my consideration set.

I'm strongly considering the Saturn Outlook -- it has more room than most in the class, gets decent mpg for the class, is getting good reviews, and IMO looks equally as sharp as the Mazdas. The big question mark is reliability though.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like Honda took a page out of the Nissan CUBE. The rear windows certainly look like that.

The CX-9 is waay more stylish. If you don't need the 3rd row, consider the new Venza lol. Or maybe the current Murano?

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    3rd row is a requirement for me due to family size, but I don't like the handling or mpg of SUVs and my wife is sick of driving a minivan for the past 8 years and wants a change. Crossovers like the Mazda CX9 and Saturn Outlook offer nearly the room of a minivan with comparable mpg and better looks. I think they will sell a lot. Not so sure how well the Honda Pilot will do. The "new" design looks about 5-6 years old. But then again, it's a Honda and that alone will sway many buyers.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kids at the 3rd row? The HiHy is ok. I felt alright but the seat is a too low for me. Headroom and legroom is just right.

10. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Hybrid Highlander seems too small in the 3rd row. A seat that will do in a pinch but not very good for regular duty. Plus the space behind the 3rd row is pretty limited and the 3rd row does not split 50/50 or 60/40. That alone is enough to rule it out for me - not sure what Toyota was thinking. Lastly, the exterior styling is boring, IMO.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's decent but for adults, I wouldn't stay back there for long. Kids are ok.

Yeah the seats are full folding. Don't know why.

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not to offend current Highlander owners but my friend just bought a '08 Highlander, and I found the 3rd seat of it to be a joke. :eek: It was so cheaply made. Compared it to GM's trio or Mazda CX-9's 3rd row seats, you will see what I mean.

BTW, you can have a CX-9 at invoice or below. After seeing the new Honda Pilot, I just placed an order on a CX-9 to replace my Odyssey. I was hoping that the new Pilot could be more like CR-V. Instead it looks more like the CrossRoad in JDM, or similar in styling cues to Ridgeline. We all can find out how the latter one sells -- very bad, even after winning some awards.

13. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree - I saw the Highlander at the auto show and I just can't imagine it working for us with the backseat the way it is. Anyway, what is it with Toyota interiors lately. I owned a Supra a number of years ago and it was awesome inside and out. But they really do seem cheap these days. We compared a Honda Odyssey to a Toyota Sienna. For $35k+ I couldn't believe how drab and cheap the Toyota looked inside.

14. C.RICKEY HIROSE

Here totally agree, how _cheap_material_ used in now days Toyota.
    Toyota is making soo-much money that probably thinks using the _low_cost material and cheap looking, won't hurt their reputation and keeps out-selling the competition.

However, if you look at the Japan's domestic Toyota vehicle lines, the interior material used are much elegant rich looking and high grade material!

I hope Toyota won't rest in its Laurel too long. The competition is fierce!
    Toyota, be aware of your complacency...Consumers are not stupid...
    despite beeing Loyal Branded but they can leave Toyota in a hurry.