1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Intermittent Heat shield issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daisy555, May 19, 2024.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard a familiar sound under my Prius yesterday. Last time the heat shield needed to be secured. Tried to replicate the sound for service manager. We drove slow and fast and in multiple sharp turns etc. He finally heard a slight version of what I had witnessed. They looked under car and it looked like part of heat shield was loose again so they secured it. I started driving home and as I was pulling into store parking lot sound appeared again but even louder. Sounded like metal dragging and then it disappeared.

Made an appointment for tomorrow to see what might be going on but I have not heard the sound since. I’ve driven a couple of times. Stop and go plus local freeway. Obviously the issue didn’t just disappear, right? Service manager said there could be decay from rust. The thoughts of replacing parts piece by piece while I wait for new Prius is really stressing me out. Any ideas?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're stressing yourself out Don't do that It's not good for your heart that sort of thing It's just a heat shield maybe have the person working on your car reach up there and rip it off and throw it in the proverbial Rubbermaid trash bin It's not going to make any difference to your car nor to the sheet metal of your car nothing's going to get a whole lot hotter burn up burn a hole through your foot nothing very boring The heat shields are the first things to go on all of my New England Toyotas since 1974 they last about three or four months and then they start rattling then in those days the 10 mm bolts would be taken a loose and the outer portion of the shield would be thrown away immediately and then as soon as the inner portion of the shield started rattling I'd remove the exhaust manifold back it up with a pry bar and pull the inner heat shield off but the gas get back on the exhaust manifold never to see the heat shield inner or outer pieces ever again I don't know anybody that would order these new and have them reinstalled on their dime never heard of such a thing but it sounds good I just don't know anybody who would partake in that activity and then to worry about it moving forward You're getting a new Prius because of heat shields that's a great story that's pretty good I can't even imagine changing my 2008 or 9 Prius for say a 2023 that's great fun I guess you plan to be out of these cars at 130 140,000. I can't even imagine that I don't even think about exiting a Toyota from my stable until at least 500,000 generally speaking or it's been in a collision where somebody's been near killed but I am glad that you people are buying the new Prius We need you to definitely do that.

3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Last only about 3 months? I guess I’m lucky mine has lasted 15 yrs. Without getting into the details I’m only getting a new car because of an unusual inheritance issue. I would much rather wait until a future time when more hatchback car models are available with comparable mileage capabilities. Usually I wait until a car is not worth fixing and then scramble to find another one.

So it sounds like maybe I should either have them take a look to see if it’s really the heat shield falling apart or cancel the appointment until I hear the noise again. Trying to be proactive so I don’t get stranded somewhere due to it maybe being some other issue.

#3 daisy555, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually a heat shield or a rattling piece of metal is going to be the last thing in the world that stops your vehicle from taking you somewhere It's usually your mind that will make you put a stop to the vehicle taking you somewhere not the heat shield I wish all my problems could be heat shield related and I would have no problems because I can easily put that heat shield problem out of my mind because I know it's just going to be pulled off with a pair of pliers and be extracted to the trash bin end of discussion I don't generally look for cars until I think I need to be myself similar same I just buy cars that I know can go another 15 years with me no matter what the previous people did and these generation twos can easily do that the next model forward not so much.

daisy555 likes this.