1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 oil leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jvilter, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jvilter

jvilter New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am the very happy owner of a 2009 Prius. I've had the car for just over three weeks now and just noticed, late last week (just before Thanksgiving), an oil leak on the floor of the garage in the vicinity of the left rear wheel. More than a few drops for sure - if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple of tablespoons. I plan to take it to the dealer today to have it checked out, but has anyone here experienced anything similar? I will update once I get a verdict.

2. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No leak here but must comment that there is not much to leak back there - just wheel bearing grease, brake fluid, and (if the shocks are fluid instead of gas-filled) the shocks.

Once you learn what is going on, let us know here on the forum.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to get more data, and ignoring for the moment the apparent impossibility of the location: measure the oil level in the engine.

What color is the stuff on the floor?

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you haven't driven to the shop already, please check the brake fluid reservoir level under the hood. If it seems low, please have the car towed instead of driving there.

Looking forward to updates...

5. jvilter

jvilter New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I took the car in this morning and got in right away (I was treated very nicely, I must say). They put it up on a lift and found no indication of any sort of leak. They took me into the service bay and let me look too, so I know there was nothing. It's still a mystery to me though, so when I came home I put some newsprint down in the area of the drip to see anything shows up by morning. Oh, and to answer the question, it was definitely oil on the ground.

I'll report back here if I find more oil, otherwise, I guess that's all folks. Thanks for your input.

6. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say "left rear" I'm assuming you are talking about the driver's side rear?? That would be correct but I've seen a lot of people refer to left and right on a vehicle as they are facing the front of the car.