1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Photos of Exhaust pipes /catalytic converter still there?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daisy555, Sep 12, 2022.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

Still waiting for a Prius to become available.

Waited all day for AAA. : / I see major holes on pipes. Car sounds like it’s missing catalytic converter but maybe these holes cause the same noise? I have been so anxious that I forgot I could post here.

Is something missing or maybe those huge holes to the left of that flame looking spot are causing the noise?

Tow person couldn’t get under the car to take a quick look but she did find a 6 inch rubber tube (wire cover) that was dangling. : / I might have missed a good photo angle for seeing catalytic converter or it’s not there.

Thanks!
    Maria
    upload_2022-9-12_15-5-14.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-12_15-5-47.jpeg
    upload_2022-9-12_15-6-25.jpeg

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You didn't take a picture further up the exhaust line where the cat is so hard to know if it's still there. If exhaust noise was real loud all of a sudden and those wires hanging down are really wires, then yes, they stole your cat.

jerrymildred and daisy555 like this.
  3. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I had a hard time getting the right angles. It was outrageously loud and sudden. I guess I’ll find out soon.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This in Connecticut Hartford New London Even up as far as Western Massachusetts I would say yes your cat's missing

daisy555 likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cat sits under the car up next to the driver's seat. If you lived near me and we were friends I could put on of this high quality aftermarket cat with Warranty that @TMR-JWAP recommends that now only costs $103: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193690871378 and then $50 for those wires hanging down / new 02 sensor and cost of labor and you'd be back on the road in a couple hours for a few hundred dollars. But you don't live near me so...

Most muffler shops will do the same for $700ish and the criminals at the Toyota Stealership will try to charge you as much as $4K for brand new OEM which is required by emissions laws in some states, but not yours.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look closer to front of vehicle, catalytic converter in red box , arrow pointing to wire for O2 sensor.

HPIM4465.JPG

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cat is gone. Fortunately I have comprehensive with $200 deductible but how do I prevent it from happening again. I’m a sitting duck.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can put this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194452673457 on so instead of it taking less than 60 seconds to steal it takes more than 5 minutes, which sometimes is enough for the less drugged out cat thief to pass your car by and seek out a less risky vehicle to use a sawzall on late at night.

9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I guess insurance is going to insist on this cheap after market part. I thought there wasn’t an aftermarket cat for this car. Bummer. Dealer said part is $2400. If it’s $4000, they would probably total my car.

I guess they need to check horn and alarm system as well to be sure wires weren’t cut.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm quite surprised insurance will pay for the cheaper part because you'll be chasing a PO420 code for the rest of your life. It's just part of the game it won't affect mileage drivability or nothing but the check engine light will light up and be there pretty much forever I can't get it to go away there's not a flash for the computer that's newer than what I have blah blah blah so I just live with it if I was to ever have the dash out again I would literally disable the check engine light because I scan the car so often and then anything that really happens I don't need the check engine light I need all the other lights The important ones the check engine just means something's been set see the other lights.

11. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm sorry that your catalytic convertor got stolen.
    That sucks. :-P

PriusCamper means well. However, like most of the people, he either doesn't know, or care about, various local emissions laws.
    Same with how, not ever square inch of the USA, is like "Nowhere Alaska".

Conn is a CARB state.
    Make sure they replace the cat with CARB approved cat.
    It's the Conn Law!
    Yea, currently, Conn emissions tests just check to see if there's something there that "looks like a cat". :)
    Fwiw, the whole test inspection process is video taped.
    If a test inspector wanted to, they could look for a CARB number on the cat. Imho, someone would've had to massively get that inspector PO'd, for the inspector to go through that hassle. :eek:

As for a cat protector, you get what you pay for.
    Do a youtube search for Milwaukee M18 FUEL Sawzall.
    Those aluminum cat protectors are a "deterrent".
    For a Gen2 with a CARB catalytic convertor, that deterrent is like putting Kleenex as a guard over $500 of cash.
    Ha, ha, ha.

A Milwaukee Fuel Sawsall with a Demo (Demolition) Blade will go through those aluminum cat protectors in under 30secs, with minimal wear to the blade, and minimal additional discharge on the 18V battery.

Depending on where to live, park, visit in Conn (Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, etc), having a Gen2 Prius, and parking it, is like having $500 in unmarked $10 bills, and a big neon light saying "FREE MONEY"!

Imho, your best bet isn't cheap.
    However, leaving the car is some place where thieves are not worried about 3-5mins of noise, is semi-hopeless for any typical cat protector.
    Like any overnight commuter lot.
    Imho, that would require custom work, with 1/8"+ steel plates.
    Even then, the plates would need to be removable. If you park in the same place, that just means the thief needs to bring the correct tool the next time. Then that sweet $500 in unmarked bills (cough, cough, the cat) is theirs.

Your best options, assuming that you do not regularly park in a high risk area:
    The best is a Stainless Steel cat shield.
    Stainless Steel is not easy to cut. It's much harder than soft aluminum.

https://catshield.com/products/stainless-steel-millercat-2004-2009-prius-gen-2-cat-shield
    Stainless Steel MILLERCAT 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 Cat Shield™ Complete Package
    SKU: CS-SS-TOY-PG2
    Price: $330.00

https://catshield.com/products/copy-of-stainless-steel-millercat-2004-2009-prius-gen-2-cat-shield%E2%84%A2-complete-package
    MILLERCAT 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 V2 Cat Shield™ Complete Package
    SKU: CS-TOY-PG2-V2
    Price: $250.00 USD

https://catshield.com/products/2004-2009-prius-gen-2-cat-shield
    MILLERCAT 2004-2009 Prius Gen 2 Cat Shield™
    SKU: CS-TOY-PG2-WEB
    Price: $180.00 USD

A quick review:
    Milwaukee M18 FUEL Sawzall 2821-21 - Gen 2
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsW834Dnwg
    Milwaukee M18 FUEL Sawzall 2821-21 - Gen 2 Update
    Oct 15, 2020
    A Concord Carpenter / ToolBoxBuzz

Btw, I have one.
    Imho, with the correct blade, it'll cut through the Galactic Empire's Death-Star. :)
    (y)

Good Luck!

#11 prius16, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    daisy555 likes this.
  12. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  13. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You live in Canada, and you have to ask?
    That's a horrible idea for any snow State. :eek:

Imho, for a non snow State, that may be a good custom option.
    Note, for people that don't have the experience, nor tools, custom options are often significantly more expensive. Don't forget the ~$100-$200/hour cost just for labor.
    It would make cutting the shield a massive PITA.
    Still, for a Gen2 CARB cat, it's ?2-10mins? of PITA work, and noisy work, for an ~$500+ cat.
    Imho, go back the next day with good wire snips and pliers. It's cut within ~3-5mins, then sawsall off the cat.

Imho, gear-heads that live near "self service" junk yards, and have been at them many times, know many ways to get various things out quickly.
    Back before the interweb, that was often required for many older cars, or rarer parts.
    Now, I sit on my ******, search ebay, pay for shipping, and no longer worry about hornets nests, freezing in snow, spending 1+hours and not having that one needed tool to finish the removal, and so on. :)

In fact, that's how I got the 15"x6.5" rims(not easy to find/get) for my snow tires, for my car.
    Nothing local for months (and in decent shape). So, I got them from ebay. (y)

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As far as I know they’re obligated to pay for the Toyota product.

daisy555 likes this.
  15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope so although when I googled it : ) I only saw info saying it has to be CARB rated but can be aftermarket. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow. I’m mostly worried about it happening again. Plus when I replace this car with new one. What a pain! Hi

16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Appreciate all the details and humor. : ) When I was pricing out a new Prius I saw that Toyota lists a cat shield as an add on but fine print states the shield could void warranty???

I live in a semi rural area and park in an apartment complex with lights and camera. Apparently over the summer a guy had his stolen in broad daylight at a Ocean State Job Lot parking lot. Someone tried to stop him and his partner said he had a fun. Yikes!

I guess I either buy the shield or pay my $200 deductible if it happens again. : /

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cali requires oem, and now, allows one expensive aftermarket, only because of the proliferation of thefts.
    it isn't cheap either.
    other carb states probably allow 'carb approved' aftermarket. definitely worth investigatiing

#17 bisco, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    daisy555 likes this.
  18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks. I’m in a CARB state so I’m guessing it will be CARB approved aftermarket. I’m not getting the sense this dealership has had to replace many cats due to theft but the service manager is pretty thorough and knew it was going to be an insurance claim. He quoted me $2400 for part delivered from Boston. More shall be revealed tomorrow.

A neighbor called tonight and said her dog was barking after midnight and she opened her window. She heard a weird humming sound and then saw a van pull away. Oh well…long gone by now.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a bummer for people who have to park outside. they even arrested some of these gangs, and metal recyclers.
    but it hasn't been a deterrent

20. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Horrible idea to drive the Prius in snow where I am, it's the Tacoma instead. (y)

prius16 likes this.