1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius ABS and Brake light on, check engine light with code P0101

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MayMagpie, Mar 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. MayMagpie

MayMagpie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My fiance and I recently bought a 2009 Prius from my parents and have had issues with the brakes barking, which we put down to the cold weather (we live in Illinois). We drove down to AL to visit my parents and the engine light came on. We ran a code reader and got P0101. We were hoping we could wait till we got back home to get it and the brakes checked out, but as my fiance was driving to meet some old friends in town, the ABS and brake light came on.

Does anyone have any experience with this? We made an appointment to take it in to be checked out, just want to have an idea of what to expect.

Thank you!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Brake actuator replacement more than likely so like a 15 or $1,600 part plus installation and bleeding dealer someplace like that I don't know man like $3,400 or something might be cheaper to get it fixed in Alabama if you have any connections there might even find a used part there You can certainly get a used part out of the salvage system in Conyers Georgia which is just a few hours up the road from Alabama.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P0101 isn't a brake system code. (Can add to the to-do list: check out the engine's mass airflow sensor circuit.)

But you have brake system warning lights on, so let's get those trouble codes first. The code reader you used didn't show you those. When that happens, the quickest thing to do is just forget that code reader and get them straight from the car, like this:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Once you post what the brake system trouble codes are, we'll have more ideas.