1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius, according to Motor Trend

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

From the March 2008 issue:

Traditionally tight-lipped Toyota has released few official details on the 2009 Prius, but no orgnaization that large is completely free of loose lips, so here's the best info we've ginned from the rumor mill.

Edgier styling will cloak a body expected to grow an inch in width for better three-across seating as its length is bobbed by a similar amount. The Prius engine grows to 1.8 liters while economy improves and an extended-range battery with plug-in capability will be added as soon as the lithium-ion batteries needed to meet the packaging and performance targets are ready for prime time. The car will likely launch with a nickel-metal hydride battery pack, then may transition to lithium-ion in the conventional (shallow-discharge) hybrid before being upsized for plug-in duty.

A Prius wagon should follow around 2011, possibly with unique styling in the vein of the Hybrid X concept shown last year at Geneva. A third, smaller (Yaris-size) Prius also could become a part of the mix, each with unique hybrid-only styling and a Prius moniker, but Toyota will still build hybrid versions of other mainstream models in its quest to increase annual hybrid production to over a million by 2017 (Toyota just built its millionth hybrid in May 2007, roughly a decade after the system lauched.)

SUM UP: Poised to remain the hybrid to beat.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there anything new in the MotorTrend article? The photo looks like the Hybrid-X concept shown at last years Geneva auto show (by Toyota) and the rumors sound familar.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, looks like Hybrid X except the headlight. It is not part of the dashboard but rather traditionally part of the fender/hood.

5. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

plug in at last is coming to a showroom near you. I'm also interested in how/if you can run your house during a blackout.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and hwy should it not look that way???

i never had any doubts that hybrid X was the future design of the Pri...afterall, why create a new name for something so similar in appearance?

7. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Crap.... Should I wait for 2009? Dang... Dang.... Decision...decision....

8. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still betting the '09 isn't all new ... just my opinion though.

9. TummyMan

TummyMan Tummy Man

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think I will wait until the 2009's show up, if the 09's have a small chance in looking like the one in Mortor Trend, I can wait and see.

10. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it make sense to show a concept drawing that is almost identical to the actual concept car that was shown about 1 year ago. Looks like MotorTrend doesn't know anymore than Priushchat and is just regurgitating old news.

11. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You didn't mention that the picture shows the 2009 Prius will be made of wood.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Motor Trend is trying to sell magazines. If they have to stretch the truth to do so, no problem! Just like all the other magazines.

If you really want the truth, wait for Toyota to announce it at an auto show. THAT and only THAT will tell us what is really happening and when!