1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius - Amber Brake Light in cold weather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by brett k, Dec 10, 2013.

1. brett k

brett k New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. I just moved to the Pacific northwest and we just went below zero for a few days. Sadly, no garage for the Prius. I was driving it yesterday and when I started it in the parking lot to come home, the amber brake light lit up, but no buzzing noise. The brakes seemed ok. It was a short drive home. Is there a known issue with Prius brakes acting up in cold weather?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, it was probably an anomoly. nothing to worry about unless it comes on again. welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

3. brett k

brett k New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which light is that: ((!)) or ABS or VSC ?

If one of those lights came on, and remains on, then you should have it checked out. No known issue associated with cold weather.

5. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing you didn't go below zero, but below freezing. In the Seattle area we made it down to 18.

I'll wager the light you saw was looked like this (!)

If so, that is the car telling you one (or more) of the tire pressures is low. It is normal for pressure to drop as the temperature goes down.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While my home near Seattle dipped only to 16, I spent most of the cold snap with family elsewhere in the Pacific Northwest. I saw zero-F both along the route, and at dad's house. Working a bunch of livestock, it was a challenge to keep the veterinary syringes and needles from freezing. When the porch temperature rose to 14F yesterday morning, as I was leaving, it felt like a very pleasant warmup. Numerous surrounding areas had gone sub-zero.

If the tire pressure light comes on due to cold, there is a good chance the tires are somewhat low even at normal temperatures. Check them.