1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius BIGGER and FASTER (Yeah better mileage too)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tempus, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota Prius: Next Chapter Opens in January - AutoObserver

According to this the New Prius will be bigger (by a couple of inches) and more powerful (up to 160 HP).

It will also get slightly better mileage (50-55 on the new EPA scale?)

But, I really worry that Toyota is missing the point.

Every Model always seems to 'creep' up in power and size.

For me, that's most definitely NOT what I want to see.

Something the size of the current Prius that gets the BEST MILEAGE POSSIBLE is what I want.

Toyota - PLEASE!!!! - Don't go down this road with the Prius.

So you made it bigger without Increased Weight? Why didn't you make it the same size and Decrease Weight?

So you made it faster? WHO CARES?

If this is true, it's exactly what I was afraid of. If they start creeping the Prius up, that they risk loosing the very audience that made the Prius the success it is.

Excerpts:

"While it's still of course firmly under wraps, a well-placed Toyota source says the next generation Prius looks good. "Still Prius-eque, but a bit bigger and more solid looking."

Toyota will re-engineer the Prius' unique gas engine/electric motor/battery powertrain to make it more efficient, more tightly packaged and to extend the driving range using battery the electric motor.

Toyota will install a bigger 1797 cc four cylinder gas engine to cope with the bigger body and counter criticism in some quarters of the weedy performance of the current 1.5.

With the new 1.8, output's expected to shift from today's 75 bhp to a more rousing 100 bhp. This together with a next generation electric motor should lift combined system output from the current 110 bhp to some 160 bhp, sources predict.

As such, the next Prius will be significantly faster, especially off the line and in low to mid range. But advances with the motor, battery and recharging inside Toyota's trick Hybrid Synergy Drive means economy won't be adversely affected.

Quite the reverse, in fact. While the current Prius posts a class-leading 35.5 km/l in Japan's 10.15-mode fuel cycle (equal to 83.5 mpg in the US), Toyota's reported target with the Mk 3 Prius is a stellar 40 km/l (94 mpg) in the same cycle.

Different markets around the world have their own take on exactly how green and frugal the Prius actually is. America, for instance, rates the 2008 Prius at a far more real world-like 48 mpg/45 mpg/46 mpg for city/highway/combined.

Japan's 10.15 mode, nevertheless, while not perfect, does give an idea of the kind of efficiency improvements we can expect with the next Prius (ie some 10 per cent-plus) and suggests, perhaps, that America's Combined rating for the 2010 Prius will lift up to the 50-55 mpg mark."

I will be REALLY disappointed if the next gen only gets 50-55 MPG.

2. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If Toyota can do this, they should leave the Prii alone and start working on hybrid pickups.

3. Solarman44

Solarman44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope the 09 will be much better in MPG. I'm getting a constant 53.4 MPG so it needs to be higher then that to warrant trading up to. I wish they would hurry on the plug-in, that is the answer.

4. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it may debut in jan '09, but doubt it will be out til 2010 or at least when the 2010's come out usually around sept '09

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like you forgot to consider the big picture...

Pushing Prius in that direction opens up the opportunity to create a smaller one too, a second model to address the market that deems MPG an even higher priority.

We like when they offer a choice.

6. YoungOrganist

YoungOrganist New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My guess, and this is only a guess (though also a hope), is that the increased power is simply a spin-off of the more efficient hybrid system, like maybe a bigger electric motor and battery for longer range, faster EV. Something like that would probably boost power and fuel economy.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If by making it bigger they will be able to put in telescoping steering wheel and height-adjustable seats then I'm all for it!!!

;)

8. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The 62 mph ev ability reported for the new version by itself should overcome a loss of efficiency for the larger engine. Only thing that has me concerned is that they get rid of whatever the inefficiency is that happens as you cross from 40-42 mph and from 42-40 mph around the new 62 mph thresh hold.

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm with John on this one, hoping that this is the start of Toyota's development of more of a Prius family of automobiles. My guess is that they need to hit the larger sedan market with Prius-like numbers. With that success, they can then produce the smaller (Corolla or current-sized Prius) with 80-90 mpg. Then, after the plug-in is proven, they can develop the crossover/minivan with 50+ mpg.

Anyone with me?

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Weedy" ??!
    It's a rare day that I ask for as much as half of what the current
    powerplant can give me...
    _H*

11. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there anything new in the article? Seems like I've heard the same 'facts' on this site, but strung out over a few postings.

12. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    View the big picture as well. As John1701a noted there are reasons to consider why a larger more powerful model might 'fit' into an overall strategy. There is likely to be a Fit-Yaris-sized small Prius that gets extraordinary fuel economy simply because of it's smaller size.

In addition while I agree with the posters saying that while the Prius is perfectly good in terms of quickness and speed there is one glaring deficiency IMO. High speed highway driving hurts the Prius' fuel economy significantly. The Camry hybrid handles 75 mph traffic better than the Prius does.

The slightly larger vehicle is just the trend across the world. It's just a fact of life. But that the fuel economy will also be 20% better than the current model is a HUGE advancement. If anyone was expecting to see a real world vehicle approaching those pie-in-the-sky reports of 100 mpg Prius'......well that was just one writer's dream. It had no basis in fact.

REPEAT: A 20% increase in real world fuel economy is HUGE. The number most drivers in the US report is 48 mpg. A 20% improvement would put that real world number at 57-58 mpg. OTOH if one is now getting 62 mpg with a Gen2 Prius one might expect to get 70+ mpg real world with the new one....Oh then the plugin version should debut a year or two later.

I'd also expect an EV button and ECON button similar to what the new HH has.

13. grinthock

grinthock New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My hope (although I doubt it any time soon) is that the prius as we know it today, will become the Yaris of tommorow, and this new Prius is really more geared to the "Corolla" crowd.

Also try reading the article, they talk about exactly that.... Quote

"Toyota is also planning both bigger and smaller Prius-badged models as 'Prius' starts to become an eco brand all of its own. The tiny, two-cylinder, rear-engined 1/X concept from the 2007 Tokyo Show suggests what a future mini Prius could end up looking like."

But until the Hybrid's get cheaper (at least they are not in Canada) there's no appeal to people. I could drive a BMW 3 series, or a nice Infinti G35 for the same price as a loaded Prius here in Canada.

After owning a prius for only 3 weeks, I find it plenty fast for doing my day to day stuff (And this comes from a guy who used to race on the strip), it would be better if it had about twice the traction battery, and double the power electric motor, because I wouldn't have to try to hard to P+G to get steller fuel mileage -- and i'd have the extra umph of the electric when i need to put the power down.

14. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree completely!

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeez you guys are freaking out as if Toyota said the next Prius will be the size of a Camry!

It's 3" shorter than a Corolla. A few more inches and it's still a Corolla-sized vehicle. Don't worry!!

The 1.8 litre engine is most likely the 2ZR-FE engine (as I've stated many times) that's currently found in the Scion xD and 09 Corolla/Matrix. It's a brand new engine with dual VVT-i (the current 1NZ 1.5 litre has been around since 1998). Heck, Toyota might even decide to introduce Valvematic to the 2ZR on the Prius (I mean, the Prius is the test bed for the latest high tech gizmos) to further improve fuel economy.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed on all points. The possible introduction of Valvematic to the world via the Prius also makes lots of sense for the reason you mentioned.

17. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    heck im dispointed big time

just think if they had used all the money for this gen III prius for making li-ion more of a reality

im not pleased about the increase in mpg either, i could jack up my tire pressure and get 55 mpg so im not impressed.

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sources predict the battery to provide at least 60 hp? The current Prius pack is rated at 28 hp and Camry HSD pack at 40 hp.

I find 60hp battery power to be too high (for NiMH) considering Toyota is looking to cut the cost of the next generation HSD. We are looking at double the power of the current NiMH pack.

The Li-ion pack could explain the extra power. Maybe Toyota will use Li-ion after all. It kinda make sense as the current NiMH price does not seem to go lower due to the price of Nickel. The price of the Li-ion can go lower with volume pricing due to cheaper material cost. What vehicle would be better than next gen Prius to drive the volume up?

19. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll take that 2" in width, please. Then an adult could fit in the middle back seat, and bulky adults in front could get their hand past their hip to buckle their seat belts.

And, btw, it would be nice if a body redesign would focus on corner visibility. I have to squint thru the tiny peep hole on the front right to avoid clipping the curb on tight right turns.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the first part of your post but I can't believe this bit. While you're going around a corner you shouldn't be looking at the curb, you should be looking as far up the road as you can see to prepare for it, the line around the current corner should have been determined seconds earlier. If you are clipping curbs go wider. I could black out the small windows in front of the doors and never miss them.

I really can't believe the complaints about visibility out of the Prius, people must have been driving all glass cars before or go karts.