1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Cat Converter Replaced, P0A80 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JoanneB, Sep 11, 2024 at 3:50 PM.

1. JoanneB

JoanneB New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am hoping for some guidance & help because I’ve been given some incorrect info from this dealership over the years.

Our catalytic converter got stolen for the 3rd time on Aug 10, 2024. The dealership replaced it & after picking it up, we took it to local car wash. When we drove home, a bunch of lights came on so we towed it back to the dealership. The service tech just called & said our hybrid battery needs to be replaced due to block V-14 has a low voltage. Below are the codes they provided in the $4600 quote:

P1121-COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALVE POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT STUCK

P3000-BATT CONTROL SYSTEM

P0A80-REPLACE HYBRID BATTERY PACK. AS PER FREEZE FRAME DATA BATTERY BLOCK VOLUME-V14 13.10V.HAS 1.6V DIFFERENCE THAN THE REST OF THE BATTERY PACK.RECOMMEND TO REPLACE BATTERY PACKS,FILTER AND CLEAN BLOWER FAN.

P1121-COOLANT CONTROL VALVE STUCK OPEN OR CLOSE.RECOMMEND TO REPLACE VALVE AND CHECK

When the catalytic converter was stolen last year (May 2023), our Prius sat for a while because they didn’t have a catalytic converter in stock. A couple of weeks after we picked it up, our Prius kept dying & suddenly wouldn’t start. We towed it back to the dealer & they had us replace our 12v battery which was 2 years old.

One year later (May 2024), we towed our Prius back because it kept dying. The AAA tech told us they installed the wrong 12v battery so that’s why it kept dying. Toyota denied it & said we needed a new 12v battery because it was 5 years old. We told them that they just replaced the battery last year so they searched their records & replaced it again for free.

I am worried that they may be giving me bad info because I am a small female. If our hybrid battery was indeed problematic, wouldn’t they have known this a few months ago when they replaced our 12v battery? If I would’ve known about this, I probably would’ve taken the insurance money instead of replacing the catalytic converter & purchased a new car.

When I looked at their service notes when they replaced our catalytic converter in 2021, they replaced a bunch of fuses. I was wondering if someone could help guide me with these codes above & maybe just changing a fuse would do the job. Money is tight so I am trying to figure out the best path forward. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well you're in California so having catalytic converters and all that stuff in place is mandatory unlike where I am your battery block voltage if that's the reading and that's what's going on the voltage being low could be because the bus bars on that blocker dirty black the nuts are frosted with like the white stuff that grows on old car 12 volt battery terminals It's a living organism keep your car from starting lots of times that can happen in your HV battery pack and that can wreak havoc on how that assembly works Toyota will not look inside of that battery pack they just replaced the $3,000 battery pack when someone's at their house and their driveway you will see pictures here of what people see when they look in their HV battery pack It can be quite ugly Just cleaning up the copper bus bars the nuts and a rock tumbler with the proper abrasive and making sure everything is clean and no modules are leaking on the lower tray and so on can go a long way If money's that tight you may not want to be looking at a 3,000 or $4,000 new Toyota battery get a rebuilt It sounds like you're inching your way out of this car very slowly because of age looks whatever the problem may be I can't see from here The car is a good car generally a generation 2 will carry you to $500,000 pretty easily of course you'll be replacing tires 12 volt batteries and consumable things like any other car If you go 600,000 mi with it you'll replace a few of those things more than you will on a car that only makes $150,000 mi obviously so you have to weigh out what you have going on I have four of these cars three of them have rebuilt batteries in them and have been doing very well One of them has a brand new battery from about 2 years ago that I put in so there are lots of variables I don't pay but $700 to a thousand bucks for one of these cars generally and usually they're in pretty nice shape leather interior so on I don't buy any cloth so there's always that but you know driving a car like this to 600,000 means you're sitting in a 16-year-old car until it's like 24 years old to make that kind of mileage and well people look at you funny and all kinds of things so peer pressure can have a lot to do with changing cars and refrigerators and appliances and things like that just depends where you are in the game