1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius: Consumer Report Rating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Dec 10, 2008.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Um, what am I missing, shouldn’t the Prius be in a 2-way- tie for first? There are 5 possible “quality†icons, in the form of circles. All you have to do is the circles a number value (like in an S.A.T. exam) as listed in the various categories (Reliability – Owner satisfaction – Owner Cost – Safety):

Example:
    Striped circle . . . . . . 25 points
    ½ striped circle . . . . . 20 points
    White circle . . . . . . 15 points
    ½ solid circle . . . . . . 10 points
    Black circle . . . . . . ZERO points

[​IMG]

That would give the Prius and the Accord 90 points while the Altima only gets 75 points. In fact the Touring Prius has the same value as the regular prius, yet it’s rated 15th (out of appx 20 or so). Apparently the Road test / touchy feely / esoteric value, unlike circle icons, give quite a big boost. Apparently the mileage value adds nothing to the formula either, or the Prius would be listed highest. Confusion abounds, can someone explain? I’ve never read the buying guide before.
    As a side note, the “Best / Worst†break down, laid out from Cheapest to Expensive tells a sad tale:

BEST WORST
    Under $20K
    Hyundai Chevy

From $20K-$25K
    Honda Chrysler

From $25K-$30K
    Nisan Dodge

From $30K-$45K
    Infinity Mercury

From $45K-$65K
    Infinity BMW

From $65K up
    Lexus BMW

I note it isn’t until cars are priced beyond $45K that European cars beat U.S. cars as poorest ratings. Are these the companies we ought to bail out? IMO, that seems kind of lame.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Gary,

Yes, the road test scores are dominant with respect to vehicle ranking. The other columns are provided to furnish additional info but they do not influence the ranking. You can decide which columns are dominant in your personal vehicle choice decision-making.

Although the non-Touring Prius has many outstanding features, I would not designate its handling as world-class. I've seen the suspension described as "agricultural", and that is not far from the truth. The Consumer Reports listing acknowledges this.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    They must weigh it mighty heavy, to knock out both owner satisfaction and highest mpg. I wonder how the stiffening plate would 'sway' them (I couldn't resist)

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i believe they ranked the other cars higher because they had a lower price.
    and those circles are separate from the road test score which it also grouped by
    and cu does not like the headlights in the touring

5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm a 40 year subscriber to CU and I use their data as general info and not absolutes. I also look at Edmunds and similar sites.Selecting a car is a process loaded with individual bias... a lot like choosing a wife...or is it?
    Would that be a loaded Thread or what...