1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Details

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fan-atic, Apr 20, 2007.

1. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The 2009 Prius is supposed to have a turbocharged 1.8L engine. Does anyone know if the turbocharging has to be on full time, or is it just there when extra power is needed?

Also, it seems to me that the Lexus-style transmission will have to become standard for the Prius in 2009. The present transmission is elegant (I count 7 moving parts), but adding two choices for the MG2 gear ratio seems to extend the power range of the motor while making it smaller. They also claim a FE advantage since the motor path is used less at highway speed. Anyone have some insight into this?

2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fan-atic @ Apr 20 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]426697[/snapback]</div>
    We'll just have to wait and see what Toyota really delivers. There are a lot of rumors on new features, functionality, and specifications.....

Keith :unsure:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't bet on the turbocharging. For one, the turbo needs to be cooled and that's not gonna happen if the engine's off.

I will bet on the 1.8 litre though (although 1.6 litre is more likely) because Toyota has just released a new set of ZR engines for the Corolla (1.6 and 1.8 litre form) and they have dual VVT-i. Just add direct injection and stepless variable valve timing and you'll have a pretty efficient engine (the 1.6 litre might even do better in power and efficiency than our 1.5 litre).

4. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 20 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]426846[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Tideland,
    What about supercharging? Everything else on the Prius is electric, so why not an electric compressor? I'm just trying to see where this turbocharging rumor leads... If the higher compression is just for 0-60 time marketing and would be normally turned off, then I see a reason for doing it.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fan-atic @ Apr 20 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]427034[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but you'll have to cool the turbo somehow and the oil (pump?) as well.

Well, Honda's mild hybrids can be considered as having electric superchargers heh. The motor and battery providing the "supercharged" power.

anyway, I'm not sure sure about supercharging.

6. phidauex

phidauex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the great things about diesel engines is that they don't rely on a specific air/fuel ratio. You can have as much air in the combustion chamber as you want, and then you just inject as much fuel as you need. Which is why an idling diesel uses about 1/6th the fuel of a similarly sized idling gasoline engine. So for diesels, you should never NOT turbocharge them. The turbo gives you more power when you stomp on it, and more efficiency from a faster burn when you are gentle.

Gasoline engines are getting closer and closer to diesels with variable timing, direct injection, and even some compression-ignition engines coming along. With this it should be possible to put in more air, without necessarily having to put in more fuel, like you usually have to do.

Cooling it is a valid issue, but an electric supercharger (just another air compression/injection method, usually powered off the engine, instead of from the exhaust gases) is not a bad idea. Getting more oxygen in there can definitely improve efficiency, if you aren't making things too lean to burn right.

I suppose we'll see. The Prius is showing how many of our ideas about how a car 'should' work can be changed, and improved. My hope is that the tradition will continue, until people no longer think of a drive train in the same way they used to.

-Sam

7. ml194152

ml194152 Member

Turbocharging is a joke for the Prius. Don't people understand that turbos require PREMIUM gas? Does anybody really believe that premium gas will ever be required on a Prius? Certainly not me!

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Electric supercharger: Use electric motor to turn fan to blow air into engine to cause pistons to push harder to turn engine harder to turn generator faster to make more electricity to power motor to turn the wheels.

Option 2: Use electric motor to turn wheels more.

Hmmm....

Nate

9. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152 @ Apr 26 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]430660[/snapback]</div>
    You are probably right that turbocharging will require premium gas. But don't think that's a bad option: What if it improves your gas mileage from say 50 MPG to 60 MPG (a 20% improvement).... would you consider premium gas then?

10. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 20 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]426846[/snapback]</div>
    May have already been mentioned here, but Edmund's believes the Prius will stay at 1.5L

11. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To answer the original question, turbocharging by its very nature only works when power demand is high. A wider throttle opening produces more power which produces more exhaust gas to spin the turbo to force in more air to produce still more power...reverse that by shutting the throttle plate and the turbo spins back down. What that does is give you a small engine with the power capacity of a much larger one. Efficiency at low load remains relatiely high compared to that V6 of V8 that would have been stuffed in the engine bay instead.

I can't think of many reasons to use a turbocharger on a Prius powerplant unless Toyota wanted to reduce the displacement of the engine. The premium fuel requirement typical of turbocharged engines might be alleviated if they really go nuts with the atkinsonization, reducing the effective mechanical compression ratio through valve timing. I'm pretty sure that's the Miller Cycle: atkinson plus turbocharging. Who knows?

I'm not expecting anything really revolutionary for '09, although a piece of me still hopes for something huge. Anything to improve highway fuel economy would be a major plus, and that probably has more to do with the transaxle than the ICE.

12. Zimri

Zimri New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ml194152 @ Apr 26 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]430660[/snapback]</div>
    Where does it say you need premium gas for a turbocharger? I have a Dodge Ram 2500, with turbo and runs only on Diesel fuel. The power comes from the exhaust gases. just my 2 cents. Take Care.

13. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zimri @ Apr 27 2007, 06:56 AM) [snapback]431071[/snapback]</div>
    Diesel is a completely different animal. Turbochargers heat up the intake air through compression, increasing cylinder temperatures. The that extra heat can cause the air/gasoline mixture to ignite before it's supposed to, reducing performance and possibly causing engine damage. Premium fuel has a higher octane rating, meaning that it is more resistant to detonation and will allow for more boost/better performance. And that is why it is required on pretty much every turbocharged gas engine made today. Some, like my girlfriend's Volvo, only require 89 octane though 91 is preferred. (That engine is a "light pressure turbo" which peaks at ~7 to 8psi vs. 14psi and up on some performance cars.)

14. allgold

allgold Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Apr 26 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]430698[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. I have owned cars that required premium and mid-grade (89 octane) gas. Never again!

It would take a miraculous increase in MPG, much more than 20%, to get me to consider premium.

15. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We have heard from Toyota that the 2009 will have a 1.8 liter and Li batteries.

The car may have a low pressure turbo or someone quite new....

A Turbogenerator - kinda like half of a turbocharger with a generator to make power for the hybrid system from the exhaust. Some would say that this is a waste due to engine backpressure but it does net more power then the backpressure it causes. The exhaust actually leaves the car at a lower tempeture due to the energy extracted by the turbogenerator.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is coming up with stepless variable valve timing (basically what BMW's Valvetronic does).

However, Valvetronic on the BMWs works on the intake only. We don't know if Toyota's stepless variable valve timing will be intake only or both intake and exhaust.

17. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan. @ Apr 26 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]430707[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but Toyota says they are going to use the 1.8L corolla engine. A shame since I think a diesel would be a better option.

18. fan-atic

fan-atic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I believe the Prius will have some new tech for 2009, whether it be the "turbogenerator" mentioned above or the Lexus two-speed MG2 motor I mentioned at the start of this topic. Ken1784 mentions a target MPG improvement of 12.7%. That's a rather specific claim to pull out of thin air, Ken. Hope it isn't akin to the 57 varieties that Joe McCarthy came up with in 1954!

19. lm2

lm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

For those interested in a new drawing of the 2009 Prius, check the March 2008 Motortrend. This drawing shows a very sleek 2009 Prius, based on information and rumors from Toyota employees, although many drawings are a bit exaggerated. Also states that the engine will be 1.8 litres, and initially will have the current battery pack. Mileage is supposed to be better. Hope the price is not raised. Lm2

20. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Anyone happen to have a scan of the Motortrend photo? I'm not into turbocharged engines but it wouldn't prevent me from buying.

I'll be happy with seat height adjusters. :)