1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius fusible link replacement then warning lights and...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Matt in AK, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In hindsight, I think my daughter reversed the leads during an attempt to jump start and the car was completely dead. We did find a wire blown in the fusible link in the engine compartment fuse box. We got a replacement part after a few days and installed it today. The car came back to life, almost completely. It did initially shift into reverse and drive but then it would not go out of neutral. The main info panel seemed ok except for a little yellow car in the upper left. The radio did not work, the AC and fan seemed to work. The images uploaded show what I saw. There were multiple warning lights and the brake light were on.
    Any thoughts ?

Attached Files:

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is really hard to know without reading the codes. I think you are correct, this looks like a reversed jump start.

Since you do NOT have the big master warning triangle or the !Problem car on the MFD, you may just have had codes thrown during the jump start and now they need to be cleared. Possible.

For giggles, just turn the car to READY and then off again about 3 times. That should clear the codes enough to start. If that doesn't work, then 12v disconnect for a while may help. If you have a Techstream that is the best option, read the codes see what the car is trying to tell you. Right now the car is telling you that something may be wrong. It is best to at least record what it thinks is wrong before you just say "whatever, keep going".

m.wynn likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Additionally I really recommend some of those "smart jump starters". They don't have polarity and after you connect them, an LED turns on and the cables make a safe no-spark correct polarity connection for a jump. It's the only way I ever use my Prius to jump (as the host).

Additionally I have a little lithium battery pack with jump starter leads. I have successfully jump started a huge 90's Suburban, the kind with TWO 12v batteries under the hood...

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Most stored DTC would have been cleared when you replaced the fusible link assembly, since that would require disconnecting 12V power.
    2. Look for blown fuses. In particular, look at the 10A GAUGE, 15A DOME, 15A ECU-B, 7.5A ECU-IG, and 7.5A ACC fuses. Use an ohmmeter to verify continuity, do not rely solely upon visual inspection.
    3. Once you have ensured that all blown fuses have been replaced, see if the car will become READY.
    4. If it does not, get Mini VCI so that you can retrieve the logged DTC.
    5. The most likely reason for continued problems after a botched jumpstart and replacement of the fusible link and blown fuses is that the DC/DC converter within the inverter was destroyed. This means you would have to replace the inverter. However you should retrieve the DTC to verify this happened.
    6. If you can get the Prius to become READY, then measure voltage across the 12V battery. If you measure much lower voltage than ~13.8VDC, that is proof the DC/DC converter is not working.

m.wynn likes this.
  5. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I will check all those fuses.
    Also, the big red triangle and the iProblem car did come on and continue to intermittently.
    I have seen many mini VCIs online, which from which vendor do you recommend ?
    It is a device you connect to the car and a laptop computer, correct ?
    We are hundreds of miles from a toyOta dealer so I appreciate all the advice !!

6. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I will check all those fuses.
    Also, the big red triangle and the iProblem car did come on and continue to intermittently.
    I have seen many mini VCIs online, which from which vendor do you recommend ?
    It is a device you connect to the car and a laptop computer, correct ?
    We are hundreds of miles from a toyOta dealer so I appreciate all the advice !!

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mini VCI runs on a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop. I bought a used Dell laptop to dedicate solely for use with Mini VCI as well as the cloned Jaguar SDD software (similar in concept to Toyota Techstream). That particular laptop came with Windows 7, 64 bit OS so I had to remove that and install Windows 7, 32 bit OS.

You can buy Mini VCI on amazon.com. This is the one that I bought, but there are many vendors that would probably be OK:

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can also just run it in a VM. I use a Win10x64 for my host of everything but have an XP x86 just for Techstream. Never had an issue that way.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, for that matter I have run Mini VCI on a MacBook Pro using Boot Camp and Windows 7, 32 bit OS. However due to residual concerns about potential virus infestation on the bootleg Toyota Techstream, it gives me peace of mind to dedicate a separate computer for auto diagnosis purposes.

10. Matt in AK

Matt in AK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P. Wong !
    Thanks so much. Among the fuses you suggested to check (10A GAUGE, 15A DOME, 15A ECU-B, 7.5A ECU-IG, and 7.5A ACC) did find the "Dome" fuse blown and changed it. At that point, many lights were coming on and no READY light and unable to shift to D or Reverse. No other fuses were blown at that point. The 12 v battery seemed like it was running down with all the testing or whatever. I took it out and left it on the charger all night. Today, we went through all the fuses with an ohmmeter with the 12 v disconnected.
    We rechecked the DOME fuse, which was the one blown before, and it tested good. Then,....hello, the 10A ECTS fuse was blown !
    We checked so many fuses, I am not sure, but I think this fuse may have been some time after the fusible link, honestly not sure.
    Anyway, reconnected the 12v and she fired up and all systems are go !
    Thanks so much for your support and that of others that encouraged me to stay on it !

Raytheeagle, m.wynn and Patrick Wong like this.
  11. Alivia

Alivia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    im having the exact same issue with my 09 prius as well but i cannot find where to get a new fusible link. could anyone send me a link to buy it so i can get mine back in working order? its mine and my husbands only car right now and we really cant afford to get a new one right now.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could buy this from your local Toyota dealer; part number 82620-47050. Or you can buy from one of the Toyota dealers that sells parts at a discount over the web: 2004-2009 Toyota Prius Fuse Box 82620-47050 | AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway

It is not that easy to replace the fusible link in the main relay/fuse box, be advised this is not a minor task.