1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius MG2 motor-295 lb. feet of torque..2010 Prius MG2-153 lb.??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by luvmypriushybrid, Jan 4, 2012.

1. luvmypriushybrid

luvmypriushybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was wondering if anyone can explain how the third generation Prius MG2 motor only makes 153 lb-ft. of torque and the second generation MG2 motor makes 295 lb-ft. of torque. Well I know why, because a reduction gearset that connects it to the gearbox allows the MG2 to spin to 13,500 RPM. which is 7,100 RPM higher than before.
    But you would think that the 295 lb-ft. of torque would be more desirable because you could take off faster from a stop in electric mode only!

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The speed reduction gear is also a torque multiplier. The Gen III MG2, through the speed reduction gear, produces more torque to the wheels than the Gen II. There is a thread on here somewhere comparing the final output torque of the Gen III to the Gen II.

I went back and looked and the Speed Reduction Unit gear ratio is 58/22=2.636. So the final torque output of the Gen III MG2 will be 153 X 2.636 = 403 lb-ft.

3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Then maybe you could help me with this.

I am trying to trace the torque/power curves of the HSD. (see attached image - I don't know how to attached a spreadsheet).
    Torque values are in Nm and the power in kW. (I used covert-me.com to go metrical wherever necessary).

The torque numbers are set by hand by me.

For the ICE torque I tried to mimic the curve posted elsewhere on PC and I am pretty confident about it.
    ICE Power is Torque*rpm*2*pi/60000*0,72. The 0,72 comes from the fact that I read somewhere that the ICE can only transfer 72% of its torque to the wheels, the rest being converted via MG1 into electricity (that goes either to the battery or to MG2).

For MG2, I assumed that full torque is available at 0rpm and then I started reducing it, so that the overall power in kW never exceed 100kW=136HP.
    MG2 max torque is according to the formula from jdcollins5 (as I also read about this conversion somewhere else on PC).
    Since MG2 is a synchronous electric motor, torque is maximum at the frequency at which the magnetic fields rotates, when the rotor is synchronous with it, independently of load, but dependent on current. I could not find a formula to calculate the torque of a frequency-variable, current variable, synchronous motor.
    We know the max current that can be transferred to MG2 safely without stressing the battery (I remember the value seen somewhere on PC).

But the total power curve looks too good to be true, when assuming full torque from MG2 from 0rpm and until it fades when the ICE kick-in and the max HP have been reached. I mean, 100kW fully available from 2000rpm to 5200rpm limit? No way.
    So - what is wrong here? What should the torque curve of MG2 look like, in reality?

I am getting crazy on this chart...!! :confused:

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a 2010
    [​IMG]

Due to the HSD, you can't get to max RPM until about 60 MPH

1 person likes this.
  5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oops

6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    thanks - but what I see is that 136HP is never reached - why so? plus that is the speed vs hp - what I was looking for is torque vs rpm of the MG2 at the torque converter wheel side, not the PSD side (OK, the rpms of MG2 could be derived somehow from the rpm of the wheels...)

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    PS: on my original post, and chart/table, there is a mistake - the overall HP of MG2 is 60kW - and that cannot be exceeded. I just changed that. Attached is what it looks like now...I still don't like it...the total torque curve looks a bit too steep to me...

Attached Files:

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The graph shows about 81% of the rated power at the drive wheels. Considering we don't know what the atmospheric conditions were when the dyno test was run or whether or not any corrections were applied to compensate for atmospheric condition, that is pretty close to a typical 85% engine to drive wheels efficiency.

1 person likes this.
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pakitt, here's another chart for you. Looks like your chart and this one both came from Dynojet Dynos, The operator has the choice of recording MPH or engine RPM. MPH (or km/hr) come directly off the roller and doesn't require a hookup.
    [​IMG]

In the top right corner there is a smoothing factor of 5. The chart you posted had a smoothing factor of 3, that's why these curves are smoother.

Note that the big jump in torque at around 4k RPM doen't show up in these dyno runs. I suspect that jump from on the Toyota BSFC charts is only there to describe the region the computer trys to keep the engine in and that at full throttle the engine power and torque isn't limited to those lines. I don't have any proof of that, but the actual full throttle dyno curves don't show the jump

Edit: I think the red lines are with an INJEN cold air intake installed.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You'll be surprised by the difference more battery power makes.

The ease of electric-only launches from the plug-in model shocking. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm... from http://media.caranddriver.com/files/regular-or-premium.pdf that came from Test Results, it looks like automatics (w/torque converters and all) typically) ~25% driveline loss. I believe it's 12-15% typically for a manual.

This concurs w/the dyno run I did on my 02 Maxima at stock 2K2 Max dyoned at 195.1 hp/214.7 torque? about right? - Maxima Forums (engine rated at 255 hp). I went through the trouble as a semi-local dyno shop was offering a free run that day.

edit: Some figures from F8L at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...rlds-first-2010-prius-dyno-3.html#post1195821. Funny enough, Jimbo's graph came from the 1st post in that thread.

I stumbled across this 2nd gen dyno run: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/24869-2005-prius-my-chassis-dyno.html.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is a document that I put together based on the gear tooth counts for the Gen III HSD from other threads on here. It will show the relationship between MG2 RPM and wheel speed in MPH.

Vincent also took these gear tooth counts a step further and developed the relationship between ICE, MG1 and MG2 for the Gen III HSD.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. luvmypriushybrid

luvmypriushybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks...there is no way I could have figured those numbers on my own! When it comes to math, my mind goes blank...so thanks again!

1 person likes this.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    from what I understand the GenIII battery rated at 36hp.. after a few seconds it drops to 27.