1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 prius oil consumption repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NuggetShark, Jul 26, 2022.

1. NuggetShark

NuggetShark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picked up this Prius about 8 months ago at the average KBB price locally. I discovered that this car has a problem keeping engine oil and I knew I have to monitor oil levels. I do that and until now I grew impatient with buying so much oil, it's a concern. I looked up a couple of videos and it is said that the PCV valve needs to be replaced. I got this part, replaced it, as I was replacing it I checked out the spark plug wells and noticed the 2nd one was dirty. It looks like I need a new valve gasket cover, and that involves taking apart the engine top off.

It is probably a safe practice to clean the spark plug well prior to taking out the spark plug and the top engine cover.

How do I clean this up so that nothing falls in the cylinder?

Attached Files:

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The "best" way is to leave the spark plug in. Spray a bunch of brake clean in the plug bore. Hold a rag over the bore while using a "blowgun" to blast compressed air into the bore.

Yes, not everyone has an air compressor- sorry. That's the only way I know to get crap out of there without flushing it into the cylinder.

Trying to "mop" the goop out with brake clean, paper towels and long-thin needle nose pliers is time consuming and only partially effective.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #1) Yet again so many dumbly suggest that a PCV valve that almost never fails is how you fix an engine problem like yours. Sorry you had to waste your time! I get so frustrated with people who think just because PCV valves were a problem with super dirty engines a 1/2 century ago that they're still a problem with a super clean burning engine like a Prius.

#2) Once you get the valve cover off, you'll have easy access to clean this without much hassle

#3) While you're doing this you should rent or buy a borescope to see which cylinder is causing the oil loss. Compression test would be good too.

#4) Research piston soak recipes, might give you way more life out of an engine with bad rings

#5) Add an engine flush product and run the engine for a few minutes before you change the oil. I suspect previous owner didn't change the oil often enough