1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius Poor city MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Proverman, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Proverman

Proverman New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a 2008 Prius with 58k miles in April 2011, and from day one, the city mpg started at about 38mpg, and has been steadily dropping to the low 30's, where it is now. It is important to know that the highway mpg has always been 46mpg. I complained to the dealer 3 days after I purchased it, and they responded with the bad gas, summer gas, winter gas, poor driving habits, and all of the other excuses for 3 months. The dealer said they have checked the car out, and there are no problems, so they can't fix it, and if there was a bad battery, there would be a light on the dashboard signalling the problem, which there is not.. When I contacted the factory, they told me the same thing the dealer said, and they both have washed their hands of the situation.
    I realize this subject has been beat to death, but I have checked all of the recommended causes of the problem, and done all of the recommended fixes for the problem, including making sure that the car is driven enough miles per trip. I'm hoping someone can tell me how this Prius should operate in the city. I have read almost all of Toyota's info on the Prius, and from what I have read, the car should run only on the battery when starting from a stopped condition until a certain speed is reached, at which point the engine will start for the higher speeds where it is more efficient, The engine in my Prius starts as soon as the speed reaches 5-7 mph every time. I can run almost forever at the 5-7 mph, but as soon as I try to go faster, the engine kicks in. IS THIS CORRECT?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Proverman. That seems kind of right, that the engine kicks in if you try to accelerate, but normally you should be able to accelerate past 7MPH in full electric mode if you do it gently enough (BTW, this is not recommended for fuel efficiency however).

What would be more interesting for us to know is, if you accelerate using the (gas) engine, say up to about 35 to 40 MPH, does the engine cut out if you then release the gas pedal? And if it does cut out, can you then keep the car running on only electric power for some distance, say about 1/4 mile if the battery was at 6 blue bars to start with? (test on dead flat road with minimal other traffic so you don't have to brake or accelerate).

Notes.
    1. You need to be really gentle on the pedal to keep the car in electric mode like this.

2. I'm not actually recommending that you drive like this (on electric power) for fuel economy. I'm just suggesting it as a test for the health of the traction battery and electric drive system.

3. When testing stuff like this, keep an eye on the 6 bar (purple/blue/green) state of charge display in the battery icon of the energy monitor display. Report any anomalous behavior such as rapid swings in either direction.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Proverman, have you checked the voltage of the 12V battery? If the battery is weak the ICE will run more to try to charge it up. You can put the MFD in Maintenance Mode if need be to read the voltages.

To me, your original post infers everything is at operating temperature. I don't know what your driving cycle is so here are a few examples:

The 1st 5 minutes expect 25mpg as the ICE runs to heat the cat & itself. At a stop it doesn't shut off. Around 150F it is warm enough to start acting "normal". Operating temp is very high 180's to low 190's.

With a full battery the car has wonderful fuel economy in the city. The radio & the AC will discharge the battery faster. Once the battery is down to 2 bars the ICE will run just to charge the battery.

This week I simulated city driving at AAA Driving School. The car was on for a good 5 hours probably. Lots of standing. Hard acceleration. Hard braking. Speed under 30mph. The Trip B odo showed average speed of 3mph and fuel economy in the low 20's. The day's driving probably knocked 1-2mpg off the tank average but overall this was still an above average tank.

On my 2006 the original battery lasted 3 1/4 years. The replacement OEM battery from the dealer lasted 6 weeks & was replaced under warranty. When the battery fails the symptoms are that the SKS doesn't work, the interior lights don't come on & the car won't start. If you try 3 times it may start. If so, drive straight to the dealer or be prepared to jump it.

I'd also check the oil level. Too much oil will hurt FE. Way too much will get the car towed off the highway.

Check the tire pressure. Higher is better for fuel economy & handling.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would say it is not correct, though my Prius is a later generation than yours.

The speed at which my ICE starts is highly dependent on conditions. On very gentle takeoffs I can get it up past 25 before the ICE starts, though this is very bad for fuel economy. When taking off fast or uphill, the ICE can start immediately. I normally don't track this, but expect a typical value to 5 to 10.

I would suggest not trying to game this issue for a while, just drive the car 'naturally' without trying for fuel efficiency, in order to get a baseline. After that, then start trying to push up the performance. If you were complaining to the dealer just 3 days after purchase, there was a significant chance of overthinking it before learning the car.

Otherwise, please fill out Cwerdna's questionnaire. That will draw out a lot more information to help us try to figure what is happening.

5. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My two cents worth. I think the clue is you get better mileage with the ICE running (highyay mileage). Don't try to run on battery alone. Get it up to the city speed limit briskly then let off the gas slightly and maintain your speed. Watch the consumption screen for mpg and let the Prius keep track of battery charge. The Prius very efficient when the ICE and electric motors work together.