1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius wont go into gear, all warnings on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nmprius505, Aug 23, 2015.

1. nmprius505

nmprius505 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday I changed my engine water pump and flushed the coolant. While filling the coolant I attempted to put the car into maintenance mode to run the pump. At the end of the process when I pressed the brake and start, the engine didn't start running and instead the car shut off.

Now all of the red triangle, ABS, vcs, check oil, and traction warnings are all on. There is also an icon of a red car with an exclamation point on the top left corner of the display. The car will also not go into gear and A/C and heat don't seem to be working.

I have tried disconnecting the 12v battery as well as pulling out the orange battery plug in back. I have tried the maintenance mode process several times, but still nothing. Has this happened to any of you before? Any ideas???

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! is the 12v healthy? did you slide the orange plug after closing it?

3. HGS

HGS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may need to clear any codes created during your pump install, maintenance mode. I've triggered codes while doing mantenance and cleared the codes, then everything was back to normal.

Do you have a code reader that can reset codes?

I'm just taking a wide guess about your problem. Good luck!

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. how did you flush the coolant? did you add a water hose to flush?
    2. how were you able to "while filing the coolant, I attempted to put the car into maintenance mode"? was the coolant already filled when you attempted this? One operation is outside the car, while the other operation is inside the car.....you can't do it at the same time.
    3. what do you mean by "at the end of the process"? What process were you at the end of?

Are you sure you put the orange plug back properly? tilted upward and then slide it downward to lock into place?

upload_2015-8-23_14-21-51.jpeg

strawbrad likes this.
  5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After disconnecting the 12 volt battery it takes two pushes of the power button to start the car. Keep your foot on the brake for both pushes. This is for just the first start after disconnecting the 12 volt battery.