1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius won't turn on, jumpstarts from 12v but doesn't stay on or go to 'Ready' mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by arturia, Apr 23, 2022.

1. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not very knowledgeable about cars let alone the specific intricacies of a hybrid vehicle so please excuse me if I sound like an idiot.

Four months ago I was driving home on the highway and my 2009 Prius suddenly went out of ready mode and went into neutral as all of my dashboard lights came on including the red triangle. I managed to get it to the side of the road and when I called a AAA mechanic to attempt jumping it, he told me it just had to be an alternator problem (I know the Prius doesn't have an alternator). I got it towed home and from that point onwards there is no sign of power. No lights, no sounds, nothing.

A local mechanic friend I have who I can't claim to be the most reliable guy in general, but who seems to know what he's talking about as an ex-Prius owner and someone that's diagnosed and fixed numerous past problems, came to attempt jumping the 12v and doing that DOES start up lights and allows the car to power on the computer but it doesn't start the engine, the gas tank reading keeps resetting (there's over half a tank of gas), and then when you stop jumping it shows no signs of power again.

After manually attempting to reset the gas gauge many times and that doing nothing for it he suggested it was likely a problem of needing the hybrid battery replaced. My point of concern here is I believe when he scanned while jumping, it threw him P0100/U0100 codes which with my limited know I would think suggests the PCM at first glance, but he also told me that it could be directly connected with battery issues.

I have an appointment in a week to have both my hybrid and 12v batteries replaced, and believe me I know the obvious "you should've instantly taken it directly to a shop" but try telling that to someone not well off at all that couldn't even afford the tow if I had to pay for it (thanks AAA). I would've had to replace the hybrid battery at some point regardless so this is no extreme loss or anything but my point here is I want to ask if he was just saying nonsense or if there is a case to believe this has the chance to solve my issue.

bisco likes this.
  2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Arturia, You will get a lot of advice on your problems and potential problems here. Some of it will be very technical. And some of it will be contradictory. Replacing your hybrid battery will likely be quite costly. Can you afford, and do you want to do that?

Disconnecting your present 12 v battery and attaching to the positive and negative leads (not fully installing in the well in the back)) almost ANY other fully charged 12v battery might give you some further information. Do not be concerned about the fuel gauge at this time. When you disconnect the 12v bat, and connect a fully charged battery, various devices have to sense this. It will likely require that after you attach the new 12v battery you have to do the full start sequence twice. After that you might also have to hold the power/start button for a while (30 seconds+) to get the car ICE (gas) engine to start. You might then not have any warning lights because disconnecting the 12V battery "resets" some/all of those lights. If you get to this point,. the ICE engine starts, the Ready light should come on. There are a few other possibilities but this will be a start.

If you want details on how to do any of the above, just say so.

If you are going to continue with your appointment to change the 12 V and hybrid battery you might want to get a firm quote for this job before it begins. As you suspect this might or might not solve your problem. Other potential issues include the inverter and the inverter cooling system. I'm presently "running" 2, sometimes 3, of my Priuses with some/all of these problems and have been doing so for a few years ;-) It's the exact opposite of reliable transportation, but it gets me where I need to go if I take known steps. Good luck.

3. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the informative response! I've actually already paid for the job in full thankfully and confirmed it was all I needed to pay, mobile installation included, so I'm not worried on that front. Like I said I would've needed to replace them sooner or later so even if this doesn't fix the issue it knocks it out of the way now.

One of the problems with attempting this besides not having another battery at the ready is that without jumping I cannot get the power going so that the car allows me to open the trunk? (I hope that wording and what I'm trying to say makes sense)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    guessing at what might be wrong can be unnecessarily expensive.

how many miles on your car? how old is the 12v?

you should get the 12v tested, and have it charged or replaced if needed.

if there isn't a hybrid mech in the area, you should tow it to a dealer for evaluation. the service manual will help them determine the problem.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the hybrid battery needs to be replaced, it will throw (among other things) a P0A80 code.

The first order of business is to get the codes read by a reader that can talk to all 20-some-odd computers in the Prius. There are several bluetooth OBDII dongles that you can connect to the car to talk to various apps on your phone. There are countless threads here about those, so I won't try to summarize. That's cheaper than having it towed to a dealer and you can read the codes over and over.

But if you replace the hybrid battery and find that it didn't fix anything, you'll have wasted a ton of money.

In fact, before you even bother with a code reader, check the AM2 fuse. It seems most likely to me that the inverter coolant pump seized up and blew the AM 2 fuse. If you disconnect the plug to the pump, you can replace the AM2 fuse with a spare and drive the car slowly and not very far. (You don't want to overheat the inverter!) The pump is something like $140, IIRC, and not terribly hard to replace. Here's a link to a picture of the plug provided by one of our most knowledgeable members.
    Possibly inverter coolant pump? | PriusChat

6. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow thank you so much i'm gonna pick up some fuses tomorrow and check

7. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes, it makes sense. You can get a small lithium rechargeable emergency jump start battery from Costco for about $60. You can attach that to the positive jump start lug in the fuse box under the hood, and the negative to bare metal somewhere (be careful with polarity). That should give you enough power to open the trunk.

Otherwise you can get into the back seat area, fold down the backs of the back seats, take off the "trunk plastic cover" and crawl back to the trunk latch. With some effort, and maybe a screwdriver and flashlight, you can push/pull the latch and "pop" the trunk. Good luck. Glad you have a positive attitude.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's probably a spare fuse in the fuse box. Just be sure to unplug the pump before you replace the fuse.

Your 12V might be dead now, but the car didn't stop on the highway due to a dead 12V. Unlike a gasser, once the Prius is running, you can disconnect the 12V and it'll keep on running. So my money would be on a bad inverter coolant pump along with a possiblly dead 12V.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe even a gasser will keep running? Not sure about that.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably will keep running, but not a good idea in a conventional car with an alternator.

Those alternators are belt-driven from the engine, so the RPM they run at is changing all the time, and their voltage regulation is often a coarse three-level deal that depends on the battery being connected, acting kind of as a big surge tank to smooth out the voltage swings. Some of the more sensitive electronics in the conventional car might not survive running around with the battery unhooked.

The DC/DC converter in the Prius doesn't depend on engine RPM (or even whether the engine is running), and its regulated output barely even wiggles when you unhook the battery.

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Possibly, but definitely not always. A friend just had a battery die in her Dodge Journey due to an alternator failure. It stopped dead on the way to a shop to get it fixed. She wound up calling a tow truck.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a special case. :) If you disconnect a Prius's battery while its DC/DC converter isn't working, that Prius will go dark just as fast as a gasser with a failed alternator.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally agree. (y)(y)

14. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so there was a spare and I did safely replace it. There is still no response at all, so I am assuming it is safe to test by supplying power via a jump to the 12v and seeing if it goes into Ready mode?

And just to be sure because they seem a fair bit cheaper than the $140 estimate, if it's the inverter coolant pump it's this thing, correct?

[​IMG]

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Certainly. I thought you'd already done that. But I never recommend using regular jumper cable on a Prius. Getting them backwards can be mighty expensive compared to buying a lithium jump battery. They have polarity protection and you can use them to jump other cars, which is a no-no to do from a Prius.

That looks right. But the cheap aftermarket ones have a reputation of not lasting long. OEM is your best bet, if it turns out that the pump is bad.

16. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tried jumping my 12v again using my sister's car and interestingly it flashed the Ready light briefly upon starting up before turning back off although the engine never started. It held charge for about a just a minute or two after I stopped jumping it before nothing again. I have no idea if the Ready light appearing for a moment means anything but after trying to turn it off and on again a few times it was no longer trying to show it

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you disconnect the bad inverter pump before jumping as jerry suggested?

18. arturia

arturia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep

bisco likes this.
  19. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF the 12V battery is really that discharged, then it has to be charged for many hours with the correct equipment (ie, a "smart" charger that can handle AGM batteries) - that's assuming that the battery is any good at all.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a very low 12V. As @mr_guy_mann said, it'll take more than that to get it charged back up, assuming it will even take and hold a charge. And, if it's low enough, a smart charger may assume it's a 6V battery and not even try to charge it.