1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 Prius?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Hlp1998, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Hlp1998

Hlp1998 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am about to get a 2009 Prius. Well, hopefully. This is really just a general post about the 2009 Prius. I have no clue what trim it is because it has an aux input but no sat next to the am on the dashboard and it has a backup camera but no Bluetooth or navigation. Is it going to be a good car for a 16 year old? Will I be able to install XM radio in the near future even without the sat button? Any comments are appreciated, even if it's just about the 2009 Prius in general.

Thank you so much!

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think its a good car for a 16yo because it has digital dash, limited power and its easy to drive. Who knows, the back up cam might even help avoid an accident. My son has been driving a Prius ever since he started driving. He is eighteen now.

3. Hlp1998

Hlp1998 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Any information about the 2009 Prius is great!
    More info is appreciated!

4. Hlp1998

Hlp1998 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also a bit worried because I'm 5'1 and the seats are not height adjustable. Will that be a problem? It's official though that I'm getting it. :)

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you test driven one? I'm 5'4" and I feel like I sit high in mine (helps that my other car just about has me sitting on the ground).

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The 09 Prius is virtually the same as any other Gen II Prius (which spans from 2004-2009). The 09 is the pinnacle of refinement for the Gen II Prius since it is the last year of the Gen II (so all refinements would be included). This is not to say that the 04 is a slouch. The Gen II is an awesome vehicle. It has earned a reputation for being a highly reliable, high mpg vehicle that requires little maintenance. There are some quirks to it however.

1) It has a bladder gas tank that will shrink in the cold and expand in the heat (meaning you can put more gas in it in the summer
    2) It will get better fuel economy in the spring and fall (unless you don't use ac in the summer).
    3) It will make a lot of unfamiliar noises (the brake accumulator turns on unexpectedly, the coolant recovery pump will run at odd times etc)

Overall, they are great cars and I predict you will love it.

7. Hlp1998

Hlp1998 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have ridden in my aunt's '07 Prius and it seems fine but I rode in it for an insufficient amount of time. I think I should be alright though.

Thank you! That is great info!

8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would certainly take it for a spin before paying thousands of dollars. Then you can see how you like it and maybe identify any problems with the car.

9. Hlp1998

Hlp1998 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are going down Saturday to see it. We put down a down payment so it can't be bought out from under us but will take it back if there is something wrong with the car.