1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 - question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by atcomo, Dec 26, 2011.

1. atcomo

atcomo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a 2009 TB coming in off lease. 43,000 miles. Going to look at it on Thursday. Can anyone tell me what to look for, what to look at. Don't want to make a mistake. Need some help

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Welcome to Priuschat! You will love this car. At 43,000 it may have the original tires the worlds worst tire Goodyear Integrities. If so get them off the car asap. There very noisey and have a bad ride. Hundreds of posts on choices so search posts for opinions. I have Kumho's on mine and love them.
    And be prepared to buy a new 12 volt battery. Its the small 12 volt car battery in the trunk. Becasue of its small size if let go dead just once it does not hold a full charge and becomes a pain and must be jumped periodically. If you do buy the car post back and there's a very simple procedure you can use to check it. Most people have gone up one step in battery replacement quality and purchased an Optima. Hundreds of posts on that.
    So be prepared for those 2. That's around $700 there so keep that in mind when you make the deal.
    Put Mobil 1 10-30 oil in the motor and your good for 10,000 miles.
    After that one of the best parts about this car is the low maintenance on it.
    Its a great car and I regurly get 47-49 mpg's without even trying hard.

The first thing I bought was a cover for the steering wheel. To me the steering wheel is unusually rough. A new leather "Wheelskin" is a joy to drive with.
    And new seatcovers from "Wet Okole" seat cover company. I have had those for 4 years and they are excellent. Waterproof, very soft even adds cushioning to the seats.
    That and I prefer the look of no wheel trim cover. I think the wheel looks sportier and the covers if not removed and cleaned periodically tend to rust the wheel edge.
    Here's some pics:

Oh and ask to to look at the dealer record of all maintenance done and last but not least CARFAX!

Good Luck!!

Attached Files:

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as the car was properly maintained, and the Price, which you did not mention, is right, go for it! The comments about the tires is spot on, just make sure you replace them with a LRR tire. Michelin Energy Savers are one, there are others, do some reading!

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/98592-new-tire-tests-tirerack-com.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...esistance-replacement-tires-current-list.html

Yes, the 12 volt battery might have to go. You could wait, in either case replace it with an Optima battery. There are several threads here on that as well.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...-12v-yellow-top-d51-battery-pencil-posts.html

Buy the car, enjoy it, and welcome to the group!