1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2009 rear seat buckle ineffective?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bkwtr, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bkwtr

bkwtr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2009 buckles are flipped from the factory but too short to accommodate a childs booster seat and also a center passenger.
    According to our dealership, Wilde Toyota, it is suppose to be this way. The passenger behind the driver is forced to use the center buckle, and the center passenger is forced to use the behind the driver one. The problem lies in that the buckle straps are too short to crisscross. This creates a safety issue with children, especially using a removeable booster seat. Try getting your hands in there to buckle up or try to unbuckle in case of an emergency! Accidents and fires do happen in all makes of vehicles.
    The 2010 Prius' rear buckle strap is made longer and not an issue. In touch with Toyota they will not replace nor warrant using the 2010 for our new 2009. I can they said, purchase it and install it myself. Now it arbitration time and the paperwork is on the way to our house. Should such a small issue turn into this huge hassel? Anyone else out there have this problem?

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a 2009 and have had no problem with infant seats in the back, either in the center or sides. But I have yet to try a booster seat.

3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What kind of booster do you use? Our kids have no problem with this type:

Cosco Ambassador Belt Positioning Backless Boosterhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000UCHJA2?tag=priuschatcom-20 exactly the same brand/model but similar shape/style.)

I won't mess with the manufacturer installed seat belts for safety reason. :eek: Toyota denies liability of custom installed seat belt parts for the same perfectly good reason. ;) Besides wouldn't it cost more to custom order and install seat belt parts than just buying new boosters? :confused: Don't you like brand new boosters to go with your brand new car? :)

Good luck! :)

4. bkwtr

bkwtr New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my reply didn't go through. I only expected Toyota to make a seat belt buckle strap long enough that occupants cant reach the buckle with the latch. I am not trying to modify or buy anything. Just want the grandkids safe in our new Prius. Toyota obviously did not see this issue..how? I do not know? :)) Thanks for help.